Part 3

As for Tsunade promising not to let Hinata die, even though she can't promise that we know Tsunade has a soft spot for Naruto. After seeing Naruto so depressed she wanted to give him at least some hope.

Here's the new chapter. Hope you enjoy it.

Naruto obediently followed Sakura home after changing out of his blood-stained clothing. Sakura tried to make conversation but Naruto seemed to be deep in thought. After making some food for Naruto, Sakura turned to leave.

"Hey... Sakura?"

"What is it Naruto?"

"Does... well did Hinata ever say anything to you about me?"

Sakura was stunned.

Has he finally gotten it through his head she likes him? But how?

"Why do you ask?... Don't tell me... she was injured protecting you?!"

Naruto looked at the ground. The silence grew until Sakura was about to ask another question when Naruto started speaking again.

"The people we were after, they... they were smarter than we thought. When we first found them I just wanted to go right in but Hinata wanted to plan a strategy. It made me angry because Hinata... Hinata never argues with me so... I ran off. The criminals... they had hired ninja and... one of them transformed into me and... tricked Hinata into thinking it was me... Her left arm was badly hurt. I got away and tended to her but the ninjas caught up... they were going to take her hostage but I gave myself up instead. The boss was angry when he saw me. He knows... well how the village hates me and was going to go after Hinata again... I was just so angry... at myself at them... I had gotten rid of all but one ninja and the boss... I... there..."

"Naruto, what happened?" asked Sakura gently. He looked at her. She could see pain and hurt but anger as well.

"It should be me in surgery right now," he whispered.

"She protected you." It wasn't a question. Naruto nodded glumly.

"With her defense technique... but the... the last kunai... she couldn't get it because of her arm... it..." Naruto trailed off. Sakura was about to comfort him when his head snapped up, his eyes blazing. He crossed the distance between them and grabbed her.

"Is she going to die?" he demanded.

Sakura was dumbstruck.

Why did it have to take this to open his eyes? He finally understands how she's always felt about him.

"Tell me!" a hint of pleading entering his voice as he shook her.

Sakura looked away.

"It's most likely... she will die."

"That's not true. Why are you lying to me?" but the fight had left Naruto's voice. He let go of Sakura and started backing away from her, as if distance would make her words not true.

"I'm so sorry Naruto."

Naruto just stared at her.

Why? Why Hinata? Why now? WHY?!

Naruto whirled and threw his fist through his kitchen wall.

"Naruto!"

Naruto slipped to the floor cradling his hand.

"I'm sorry Hinata. So sorry."

How will I find out if she really said 'I love you' before she passed out now?

Sakura just stared at the boy that had always cheered her up. The boy she had never seen sad for longer than a couple minutes. And that boy was slumped on his kitchen floor on the verge of tears.