Valhalla

I slept peacefully for the first time in years. I woke in a room bigger than my cliffside house in the Crystal Cliffs, wrapped up in the warmest, most comfortable blankets I had ever had.

I yawned and sat up tiredly. Pure sunlight poured through the windows as birds chirped.

I just sat in my bed, content. Then I remembered. Valhalla.

"Shit..." I hissed, regretfully rolling out of bed. I quickly dressed.

As I was trying to tame my wild hair, someone knocked on the door.

"Gem! You awake?" Creed said, voice muffled.

"Yeah! Almost done! You can come in!" I yelled. The door swung open, and Creed came in with two muffins. He put on on the sink by me and flopped onto an easy chair, eating his own.

"Ready for Valhalla?" He said around his food. I shrugged.

"I don't really know how to feel about it. A few days ago I was struggling to find an apartment, and now I'm staying on Mount Olympus. It's weird." I said.

"Understandable." He said. Something in his voice was distant.

I finally got my hair into a semi-manageable braid. I grabbed the muffin, taking a bite.

Cinnamon and chocolate flavor exploded in my mouth. My eyes went wide.

"Good, huh? Anyways, if you're ready, Zeus had our Rift ready." Creed said, standing and stretching. I nodded.

It was time.

. . .

"Hera, please... stop it, my hair is fine." I said, pulling back. Hera was acting like a mother hen and trying to fix my hair. She swatted my shoulder.

"Nonsense. You're going to Asgard. Maybe you'll end up ending our squabble with them." She said.

"Gem!" Creed yelled from down the stairs. He stood with a hand in his pocket. Zeus stood next to him, arms folded. Hera hugged me quickly, and I rushed down the stairs. Zeus snorted.

Another tear in reality sat in front of us, electricity flickering off it.

Before we could go through, Zeus grabbed my shoulder.

"I have one request of you, Gemini. Please, try and arrange permanent peace between Olympus and Asgard. This broken multiverse needs it desperately." He said.

"I'll do my best, Lord Zeus." I said, determined. He smiled slightly.

"Just Zeus. You and Creed are friends." He said. I smiled. Then he snorted.

"Now get out of here before I change my mind." He said. I laughed, walking up to Creed.

"You ready?" He asked. I nodded. Then I looked back at Olympus and it's beauty. Everywhere I had been to the past few days had been the most beautiful I had ever seen. I realized: this was what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Wander.

I looked to Creed. We nodded, and stepped through the portal.

. . .

We emerged in a beautiful frozen pine forest. Mountains curved to the sky, almost forming arches. Some trees had long since died, replaced with a shell the same shape of ice. We had appeared on some kind of podium with a glowing rune that looked like a fish carved into it on top of a hill. Water had gotten in and frozen, giving it a nice blue shine. I could see a village at the base of the hill, a river running through it. Festive Nordic music and laughter rang up to us, and the occasional ring of swords colliding. A massive ball of fire hung miles and miles above the village, embraced in the jaws of a statue of a titanic wolf. The sky was painted with stars and universes. And in distance I could see a island of stone with a massive, shining iron palace perched atop it. Water poured down the mountains in a torrential rain, fading to mist about halfway down until it reached the mouth of a river below. Ravens were flying through the sky, cawing and playing like children in a field. Valhalla, paradise of the slain, army of Odin.