1. welcome to chaos

it was week after yoko's funeral.

enid was absolutely distraught over what had happened in the past few days,

ajax was heart-broken because enid had broken up with him,

wednesday was determined to find her classmate's murderer,

xavier was focused on rebuilding a healthy and stable relationship with wednesday,

and nevermore academy was in shambles.

...

enid and wednesday were in their dorm when a knock came from the other side of the door.

there was no doubt it was xavier. "can i come in?" he called.

wednesday walked over to answer the door. "let's take a walk," she told him.

he smiled sadly, took her and, and pulled her away from her seemingly bottomless pit of disdain. "how are you?"

"irritable. i have no new leads to who yoko's murderer is," the noirette replied.

"hey, take your time. finding a murder doesn't exactly happen over night," the boy reassured her.

wednesday looked up at him. "why did you come back?"

xavier sheepishly looked down at the ground. "i was thinking... maybe we could talk about what happened before the funeral."

the girl's ears turned red. "i suppose there's no use in avoiding it. if you are here to confess your feelings, i am here to reciprocate them."

the boy's eyes shone with pride. "i'm glad. i've missed you being my girlfriend. i've missed being your boyfriend. you're kinda irresistible... but-"

"you don't want to be my boyfriend. i already knew you were going to say it. i missed my chance, and i can live with that," wednesday quietly replied.

xavier's eyes nearly popped out of his head. "what?! no, no, not at all. i just... think we should take it slow. we can make sure we have a stable friendship first, ya know? i want to always be a part of your life, wednesday, as your boyfriend or just a friend."

"are you sure about that, xavier? i am a piece of work. i will stomp on your heart and slowly slice it to pieces," the girl retorted.

xavier shook his head with a smile and sighed. "i want to be in your life forever, wednesday. our families go back, you know, like my godmother and your grandmother."

wednesday couldn't help but almost smile herself. "you are ridiculous. i am glad you are in my life."

xavier kissed her hand. "hopefully, i always will be."

wednesday stared at him. "you said just friends. that means no kissing my hand, elitist snob."

the artist frowned. "damn it. i was hoping you would let that go and just go on a date with me."

the raven pulled her hand away. "make up your mind, xavier. friends or more?"

he raised an eyebrow. "make up my mind now?!"

"yes," wednesday responded, deadpan.

xavier clenched his fists and ran his fingers through his hair. "frie- more than frie- can we just talk? be more than friends, but no labels for now?"

wednesday's eyes lit up. "yes. i hope you know that means i am not inclined to go to or do anything with you," she simply responded before walking away.

"fuck," xavier muttered under his breath.

...

wednesday returned to her dorm to find enid lying in her pit of stuffed animals. "what happened to you?" she asked her best friend.

"I'M SAD, OKAY?! AM I NOT ALLOWED TO FEEL EMOTIONS?!" enid screeched.

wednesday went and sat on her bed, facing the girl. "i said nothing about feeling emotions, enid. i'm surprised you aren't in my face about where i was."

the blonde raised her eyebrows. "OMG, WERE YOU WITH XAVIER?"

wednesday tried her best to not make eye contact.

"OMG, YOU WERE! TELL ME EVERYTHING! WHAT DID HE SAY?! ARE YOU GUYS OFFICIAL AGAIN?!" enid squealed.

"no, we are not dating, enid. we are merely more than friends. we are not official and most likely will never be again," the psychic retorted.

wednesday believed that statement with her entire heart. she felt as if she'd messed everything up. xavier wouldn't want to be hers again... especially if he didn't want a title.

"what?! NO! you guys are PERFECT for each other! WAVIER HAS TO SAIL AGAIN!!!" enid screamed at wednesday from across the room.

the noirette stared intensely at the blonde. "you still haven't explained why you broke up with ajax."

enid frowned. "it wasn't working out, wednesday. he wasn't in it for the long haul. i want something serious, and that's not what ajax wanted."

wednesday frowned. "i understand. i believe xavier can be that way sometimes too. do you know what you're wearing to the rave'n?"

enid shrugged. "not a clue. i'll go shopping this weekend. you should come too! i'll help find something for you that will make xavier die to be your boyfriend!"

wednesday glanced away. "i will pass. thank you, enid. i have to go."