11. utmost betrayal

as soon as wednesday heard the names come out of xavier's mouth, she felt suddenly ill with hatred. 

xavier had done many wrong things, many things to hurt her in the past. however, she did not think him capable of doing something like this. it not only harmed whatever their relationship was, but also the understanding of how big this thing actually was.

at this moment in time, wednesday believed xavier to be the most stupid human being she had ever come in contact with. he had entirely forgotten a single detail that changed everything. the person that she met with at the original meeting house had been wearing a nightshade mask...

this didn't necessarily mean they were a nightshade themselves, but it did mean they at least had some knowledge about the society. the fact that xavier had just shared the names with the entire society put everything at risk. 

dear god, she wouldn't even be able to look xavier in the eye without feeling like she was drowning in hell. the trust of the bridge that had been mended was now eternally estranged.

 she hurried back to her dorm room with eagerness to draw up a new plan. this plan would have much more simple background notes.

- no one was to be trusted.
- all vital work would need to be accomplished at night.
- she would refrain from conversing with any member of the nightshades.
- she must ALWAYS be aware of her surroundings at all times (this wasn't anything new).

"what are you doing?" enid asked wednesday as she jotted down the simple notes on a plain sheet of paper. wednesday frowned. "i had a new idea for a novel. i just needed to write it out."

"ooooh," enid said with wide eyes, "can i see?" wednesday didn't even look up from her paper when she replied, "no. it is something that i am going to sell to the local bookshop keeper."

enid shrugged. "okay. oh, just so you know, while you were out xavier stopped by and said he wanted to ask you about something."

"wonderful," wednesday muttered, feeling the anger well inside her chest for the one she might have once considered her beloved.

 once she finished writing her paper and putting it in a place of safe keeping (her desk, but locked in a way as to where only thing could get in), she began the continuation of her novel at hand while enid scrolled endlessly on her iphone.

thankfully, there wasn't anything else that needed to be done that night, so wednesday and enid went to bed immediately after their downtime hobbies.

____________________________

the next morning, wednesday and enid were eating in the dining hall when xavier plopped himself down right next to his "girlfriend" and placed a kiss on her temple. "morning. how are you?"

wednesday didn't respond. xavier frowned. "hey, is everything okay? is your family okay?"

"my family is in their same health as always," wednesday muttered in return.

xavier nodded. "okay, good. i'm glad. and.... are you okay?"

"there is nothing wrong with me, xavier. stop pestering me. the sound of your voice is like a thousand needles poking into my eyes all at once," wednesday replied heartlessly.

enid raised an eyebrow. she had no clue something was going on between them, but something was definitely up. she knew wednesday would never say something like that to someone she was perfectly fine sitting next to.

xavier frowned. "i'm-- uh-- sorry, i guess. did i do something wrong? if you're mad at me or something, just tell me. i promise i won't get mad."

from experience, wednesday knew that was a blatant lie. "i am not mad at you, xavier. i am going to make this simple. we are no longer dating, and you are no longer considered a friend. you made a fatal mistake, and it is not something i am willing to overlook."

"i-- i don't understand," xavier said, shaking his head. "what did i do? please, wednesday! you have to let me know what i did! i'll do anything to make it up to you! please!"

wednesday did not even so much as take a glance at him as she said, "there is nothing to discuss with you. you know what you did, and if you can not figure it out on your own, you truly are the most brainless person i have ever seen."

that was when xavier started to get angry. "you've gotta be fucking kidding, wednesday! i've done so much for you! i've chased after you every time, and now you're just dumping me again! i thought you actually loved me, for god's sake!"

wednesday blinked. that comment stung like hell. because... in truth, if she was being completely honest with herself, she had loved him. completely and ridiculously.

she had loved him in the way that she had promised her parents that she would never. she had loved him like a fairtytale. she had loved him as if there were no tomorrow. she had loved him with her entire heart. no, not just her heart. she had loved him with her entire being.

but now... now that it was over, she felt numb to her core.

all that was left was hurt, hatred, and the desire to leave the school she had once called home.

there was no other choice.

she would finish what she started, and then she would leave.

yoko tanaka's murder would be the last case she ever solved at nevermore academy. 

____________________________

later on, after the first classes of the day, enid and wednesday sat alone at lunch. xavier didn't make an appearance in the lunch room which made it much easier on the girl whose heart had been fragmented.

"i know it might be a little early to ask..." enid mumbled. "but why did you break up with him? i thought you guys were finally happy."

"i thought so too," wednesday muttered, "but i was wrong. he betrayed my trust, enid, and for what he has done i cannot forgive him."

enid's face was painted with the heartbreak her best friend was going through. "i'm sorry, wednesday. that's horrible. i know how much you loved him... and i know how hard it was for in general. i'm sure we can both find better one day."

wednesday agreed. maybe that would be true

because anything would be better than xavier.