6. constant confusion

a few days after wednesday and xavier's fight in the woods, wednesday was working on her fourth installment in her book series when she heard a knock on the door, and called to the person, "enid, we have been over this. you don't have to knock to come into the dorm. it is a shared space."

it was, in fact, not enid. "uh, wednesday, it's ajax! do you know where enid is?" wednesday frowned. what was her best friend's ex-boyfriend doing at their dorm? she went to go find out for herself.

"ajax," she acknowledged as she opened the door, "what are you doing here?" the boy scratched the side of his arm nervously. "i--uh-- was just looking for enid. i just wanted to talk to her. do you know where i can find her?"

"you are no longer together," said wednesday, "why should i tell you where she is? are you going to become the next stalker at nevermore? that is my specialty, but i will not assist the cause when it comes to enid."

ajax sighed with frustration and rolled his eyes. "look, you've already been a pain in the ass enough to xavier. just tell me where i can find enid."

wednesday glowered at the boy and told him, "i have not been bad to xavier. i have been protecting him. it is his own fault he sees things in shades of gray instead of black and white. if enid wished to talk to you, she would have already. she would have been addicted to your username in her phone and giggled when you responded. she wants nothing to do with you, ajax, and neither do i."

ajax shook his head and said, "you're such a bitch, wednesday," before turning around and going on his way.

"you are going to regret calling me that," wednesday growled under her breath.

a little while later, when enid came back to the dorm, wednesday looked up from her typewriter and said, "your ex-boyfriend paid a visit today." enid frowned. "what was ajax doing here?"

"why?" asked enid. "i did not ask why. he kept asking for your location, and then he became as ugly as the cereal fruit loops." enid rolled her eyes with a sly grin. "okay, fruit loops aren't ugly. you're just allergic to color. you don't have to offend them." wednesday's eyes lit up as she said, "oh, i did not realize there was a possibility to offend a cereal that produces diabetes."

enid couldn't help but smile. "it's always possible to offend, wednesday. anyways, did ajax just leave without saying anything else?" wednesday's eyes became darker as she said, "no. he continued on to comment on how horrible of a person i am to xavier. he then called me the word that female hounds can be referred to as."

"what?! he called you a bitch?! i swear, when i see him again, i'm gonna totally wolf out on him!" enid exclaimed.

wednesday almost smiled as she watched her best friend become more feisty by the second.

enid then stopped for a split second. "wait. what happened with xavier? i thought you guys were just not talking to each other for a little bit. what did you do, wednesday?!"

wednesday looked out the window as she told enid, "the other day, i was wandering in the woods for an evening walk, and i happened to see someone by the lake. the person looked strange, so i went to investigate. it turned out to be xavier, and he was speaking to a photo of me. he said that he wished he had never met me, and he said i am not the same person anymore. when he pulled out a match to set the photo on fire, i stepped out from the shadows and told him i did not mean to hurt him... but he didn't listen. then i said something that i almost regret."

enid winced as she asked, "what did you say?"

"i told xavier that i was wrong to have trusted him and that he is the true villain in every story," wednesday replied, feeling nothing but numbness.