Adapting Swimmingly ∼ 14

The next morning Tcelia wasn't awakened by Kiri, but by Lo'ak. This was new – Lo'ak was usually the one who slept the longest.

She groaned after having realized who had shaken her awake, "What do you want, Lo'ak?"

"Well good morning to you too," Lo'ak mocked, putting a hand on his chest, feigning being hurt, "You don't seem to have a problem with being woken up early when my sister does it," he whispered.

Tcelia hoisted herself up so that she was leaning on her elbows, "Well that's because she needs company. You've probably woken me up for some stupid reason," She snapped.

He tsked her, "Have a little faith, won't you," he stood up and extended his hand down towards her, "We are learning how to ride an ilu today."

Tcelia eyed him suspiciously, "How would you know that?"

Lo'ak waved his hand impatiently, an exasperated way to tell her to take it, "Tsireya told me, yesterday."

Tcelia sighed and let Lo'ak pull her up. They quickly woke the others and made their way down the pathway, leaving Jake and Neytiri behind. Neteyam was carrying a tired Tuk and Kiri was leading the way down to the beach.

"Do you know why you had to wake us at the crack of dawn?" She questioned Lo'ak who was walking beside her.

Lo'ak merely shrugged, "I am only doing what Tsireya asked me to," but when he saw the knowing smirk Tcelia sent him, he was quick to protest, "No – no! It is not like that," he looked at Tcelia, splaying out his arms, "She was only showing me around yesterday, nothing happened!"

Tcelia chuckled at how flustered Lo'ak had gotten, "I am only messing with you, Lo'ak," She patted him on the back, "Tsireya is a nice girl though, I don't know why you are so against it," She yawned, "Besides, I think she has a thing for you."

Lo'ak shrugged and was about to say something in return but was stopped when he accidentally collided with Neteyam's back - He had stopped in his tracks and was glaring at something ahead of him. They were standing on the beach, not far from where Lo'ak and Tsireya had agreed the meeting spot would be.

"What's wrong, bro?" Lo'ak asked his brother as he maneuvered around him. Tcelia looked at Neteyam curiously before following his gaze. She almost turned around when she realized what had made Neteyam stop so abruptly.

Three Na'vi stood side by side, further down the shore, in the shallow water. Tsireya, Rotxo. And Ao'nung. Kiri was making her way down towards them, excitement evident in her steps. Tcelia sucked in her breath. Both Sully brothers looked at her; Lo'ak, wearing an expression of confusion and Neteyam, an expression of concern.

She hadn't expected to see Ao'nung so soon – he had gotten out of teaching the Omatikaya kids the previous days by performing other tasks for his father. Tcelia swallowed hard. She couldn't turn around now, the Metkayina had already spotted her, and she didn't want to give Ao'nung the satisfaction of seeing how much yesterday had affected her.

She clenched her jaw, "Come on," she said roughly and began making her way over to Kiri and the Metkayina. Behind her, she could hear Lo'ak whispering to Neteyam, asking what was wrong. Neteyam shushed him, telling Lo'ak that he would explain later. Tcelia could only imagine the eye roll Neteyam had received from Lo'ak in that moment.

As she neared the group, she smiled at both Tsireya and Rotxo before making eye contact with Ao'nung. She raised her chin, staring him down. He looked away quickly. Good. She wanted him to feel bad for what he did.

Neteyam and Lo'ak placed themselves on either side of her, Neteyam putting down Tuk in the shallow water. Lo'ak was staring at Ao'nung with distaste as he shuffled closer to Tcelia in a protective manner – it seemed like Lo'ak had come to the conclusion that her discomfort had something to do with Ao'nung.