Chapter 7

Once Stephen had defeated his opponents, he saw that Ben was still busy with the enemies' leader. The rest of the Yoosun students were busy fighting Alex and Gerard.

Stephen noticed someone was watching the fight: Phillip Kim. The two made eye contact and fear flooded Phillip's system. Stephen shoved his bag into Eugene's arms before rushing over to Phillip and attacking him.

'Come to think of it, I barely hurt him when I threw him down the stairs,' Stephen thought as he punched Phillip in the guts. He didn't stop there and continued hitting Phillip until he was curled up in a ball on the ground. 'That should be enough to at least damage his reputation. I wonder if he'll still have any followers now that he's exposed as a fraud who didn't even try to fight back,'

By the time Stephen had finished things up with Phillip, Ben had also defeated Jimmy. 

Stephen headed over to Eugene to grab his bag. It seemed like Eugene was also heading towards him to hurriedly give it back, but Eugene ran past Stephen and tackled the Yoosun student that had just regained conscious and was about to attack Stephen.

"What the hell is this!? You little shit!" The Yoosun student elbowed Eugene's back. "Get off me!"

"Hey you! We're done here. Quit acting like a fool and get out of here..." Ben glared at him. "Unless you want more?"

The Yoosun goon was shocked that his school had lost but he was quick to retreat with his classmates.

Once all the danger was gone, Stephen stared at Eugene with a confused look as he was handed his bag back. "Why did you help me?"

"Huh?" 

"The guy you tackled," 

"Oh, uh, it was nothing," Eugene scratched the back of his head nervously. 

"Why'd you do it?" Stephen asked. "You stayed out of the entire fight. Why did you help me?"

"I mean, my body sort of moved on its own?" Eugene answered. "And it was the right thing to do,"

'I don't get it,' Stephen thought as he decided to head home after sending a quick text to Sylvelle that he wouldn't be showing up to work that afternoon. 'We aren't friends. We're just classmates. Why did he help me?'

He thought back to when he had first approached Gray in middle school. He had seen how robotic Gray's behavior was and had decided to step up to show Gray how to live life. He had decided to help Gray fill that empty void in his chest. At the time, the two had been complete strangers who happened to share the same class, but Stephen still wanted to brighten up those dull eyes.

'Maybe...maybe not everyone is as bad as I thought. Not everyone is a coward that just stands by as other people are bullied. I stood up for Donny when he was being bullied by Bryce and Oswald. I wasn't even close to Donny. There are bound to be people like me...or rather, like my former self. I no longer feel the need to step in and help others if I see them being bullied,'

XXX

The next day, Ben came into Class Five and slung an arm over Eugene's shoulders. "Hey Eugene Gale," He also acknowledged Stephen. "And Stephen Ahn,"

"Huh?" Eugene was confused by Ben being so friendly with them. 

"Now, now, it's no time for us to just be sitting around like this!" Ben told them. "Don't you think we should be getting together to share some thoughts and ideas to better our future?"

"Graduate high school, graduate university, finish military service, get a job," Stephen said. "That's what most people aim to do,"

"So boring!" Ben commented. "There's more to life than just studying and getting a job!"