There's a Historical Precedent, You Know

Welcome (Back) to Eliza does ONC! Where you all get to join the fun and watch me write five different novellas all at the same time. Grab your snacks and buckle your seatbelts, because we are ready to go!

Why five? Well, the most I've ever done is four and I want to see if I can break my personal best. That's it. That's the only answer.

But, it is tradition at this point for me to write more novellas than anyone really should, so why stop now? It's also tradition to try new things and if you saw my last novella (Love, Lies & Red Eyes) you'll know one of my novellas is a paranormal? romance.

But this one will also be a first because it's set in a world I've created but not written in yet. A sort of fake historical Spain. So I'm calling it "historical ish" fiction. It will have some modern vibes and some historical settings, but I'm changing things like who's the monarch because... I can. Again, that's the only reason. I want to!

So, what is this story about? You're probably asking, having endured my preamble about myself.

Great question! It's a story about two people who escaped the prospect of bad marriages and ended up on the run from their fathers together. But they aren't without connections, and communication was a little slower in those days, so their chance encounter on the train will lead to a little opportunity and a lot of tension.

These two love birds are definitely going to clash when self-preservation kicks in and I can't wait to share them with you!

If you like Historical Spanish settings, feisty characters, entertaining banter, the superiority of the only one bed trope, or a dashing duke (not usually) in disguise, this might be for you.

Interested in being notified when the first chapter is posted? You can follow me authorelizasolares or add this book to your library (or both) to receive a notification when there's a new chapter. And, if you find it interesting, I'd really appreciate it if you would be willing to add this book to your public reading list to help other readers find it.

I'll see you in the next week for chapter one!

Eliza.

~ * ~ Summary ~ * ~

Always willing to put herself last, Catalina Juárez has never rocked the boat. But that all changes when her father insists she marry a man she cannot stand to be near.

Hopping into a carriage for hire, she spends the last of her money on a ride to nowhere. Because this mysterious carriage has one rule: you go where it takes you.

Well, that was a waste of money, because she isn't even to the edge of town before she's unceremoniously dumped off at a train station. With no money to buy a ticket and no time to think of another plan, Catalina pushes through the crowd and onto the train.

Marcos Caballero has never met a problem he didn't want to solve. Traveling alone on a ticket meant for him and a woman who didn't want to be with him, he's taken in by the scared, doe-eyed look of the woman in the dining carriage.

She's ticketless and alone; he's lonely and has an excess ticket.

Stepping in to save her, he claims her as his wife, not really expecting her to play along past the point of danger. But she quickly steps into the role with ease, acting as if they've known each other their whole lives. Somehow, it seems like they might have.

But being on the run from troublesome and powerful fathers isn't without its struggles, and Catalina and Marcos are going to have to decide how much they are willing to risk to put love ahead of duty.

This story is based on prompt 9. "There's an urban legend that's been circulating for years about a taxi cab that doesn't take you where you want to go, but where you need to go. One night, you stepped into this cab."

~ * ~ Thanks and More ~ * ~

Thank you so much for taking the time to check out my story! If you're interested in my other ONC stories (or my other completed and ongoing works), check out my profile authorelizasolares where you'll find a lot of romance and a lot of comedy and a little of everything else.

Are you writing for ONC? Which prompt did you select?

Have you seen any other stories using prompt 9 or that have similar vibes to this story? Let me know! I'd love to add more stories to my reading list.