Everything Is A Game

Nona didn't have time to disagree because newly dead people arrived in the elevator. Two women, to be precise.

"You'll help me with the sentence," Decim whispered to Hanashi, preparing her for what might happen. She was slightly surprised, thinking that there was one person in the afterlife who judged everyone individually. Time flowed differently in the afterlife, or at least she had hoped so until now. Despite the unexpected change, her excitement about how it all worked remained.

To her surprise, the "guests" did not remember that they were dead. Their suspicious faces upon realising there was no way out almost made Hanashi laugh.

One of the women pressed the button, and the roulette wheel drew tic-tac-toe. The referee's assistants were speechless.

"What's going to happen here?" she asked in a whisper.

"People do different things out of fear. The games here are supposed to bring out the darkness in their souls," Decim replied.

"But you know it doesn't work that way, right?" This comment momentarily left Decim breathless. "Fear alone won't do anything. You have to bring out all the emotions and then see what they do."

Despite this insight, the man couldn't change the rules during the "soul test." He briefly explained the rules to those present. The players were two women who obviously had a close relationship, smiling at each other.

"So, a loser is actually a winner. I'm going to die eventually, Natalie," one of them said to the other.

"Don't think I'll let you! I will give my life here too, Eva," was the answer.

They started the game. Decim had to click his special button a few times to mess things up, but it didn't change the nature of the game. The friends just had a great time, reaching the tenth game. Hanashi was almost falling asleep from boredom.

"It was nice. See you on the other side," they said to each other. It didn't take long for them to realise that they were no longer alive. Decim had to follow the rules, directing them to the elevators.

The redhead looked at the masks above them. They were the same. Smiling. Internally, she breathed a sigh of relief. Friendship lasts longer than one life. She quickly grabbed a pencil and drew a playing field on a napkin.

"Hey! Pretty-eyes!"

It took the judge a moment to understand that Hanashi was talking to him.

"Will you play with me while we're waiting anyway?"

The referee approached her slowly and asked a question that caught her off guard, "Why?"

The woman slapped her forehead with her hand. "Just for fun. To avoid being bored to death," she laughed at her own joke. "Need more reasons?"

She broke down when she saw that Decim's facial expression had not changed. However, her mood soared just as suddenly when she heard "I'll be the cross, start."