Memories To Forget

"Hanashi, can you tell me about yourself?" she heard one day. Decim's voice sounded unsure, as if he wasn't sure if what he was saying was right or if it would somehow offend her.

She smiled slightly and considered the request. She never thought her life was worth talking about, as there were surely many people with more interesting stories. Nevertheless, she began from the beginning.

Her parents were quite strict, instilling a fear of failure in her from an early age. This was the result of having elderly parents, though it wasn't certain since she had never known others.

Being a nerd throughout elementary school backfired, leading to isolation and mean jokes from her peers. Her dad imparted a rule that she followed until middle school: "People are us, the rest are cattle." Decim listened carefully, trying to gauge how she dealt with difficult situations.

In middle school, she found her first friends and discovered new interests. The betrayal in her senior year, marked by a knife with her friend's handwriting, led her to attempt suicide. However, she learned the value of friendship and support, becoming the glue that held her various interest groups together.

In high school, she excelled academically but faced social challenges. Her popularity grew when others sought her help with cheat sheets and homework. She also experienced her first serious love, albeit with a non-existent character.

High school brought experimentation with substances, but she found more joy in quiet evenings with anime, movies, books, or manga and hot chocolate. A boy's inappropriate advances at a party resulted in her defending herself with a knife, making him disappear from her life.

After finishing her education, she struggled to decide between drawing maps and passing on knowledge to the younger generation. As her group of friends scattered, she ended up alone and pursued both interests. Life at school wasn't easy, and boredom set in with map-making. She had no clear third option.

"Everything I had to do, I did. It was my time to have a holiday. I thought it was eternal, but there is an option of reincarnation," she concluded.

Hanashi tried to share her story with a mix of humour and seriousness. However, when Decim's hand gently landed on her head, she couldn't hold back the tears.