No More Secrets

It was quite obvious that the unusual situation in which a human judges other people's lives could not go unnoticed. So Decim and Hanashi sat at the bar, sipping the drinks prepared by the man, staring nervously at the card that had come from above.

"Hey, nothing bad will happen, right? Right?" the woman was getting more and more nervous. After all, the "boss" had no idea of her prolonged presence.

Decim remained silent. He had no idea how a soul had formed in his body or what would happen as a result. Another awkward silence ensued, broken by the sound of the elevator, which seemed extremely loud and upset Hanashi even more.

After a while, they heard loud and unpleasant laughter. Decim stood up as quickly as possible and faced the approaching person. When the newcomer stood in the light, he bowed slightly. The woman, slightly clumsily, repeated the bartender's gesture, guessing that it was his superior.

"Nona really thought she could hide that from me, too," a low, slightly hoarse voice echoed around, sending shivers of fear through the bowing pair.

"Psst. Who's that?" Hanashi finally asked in a whisper, gathering the last of her courage. Even if she was dead, the aura around the old man was overwhelming.

"Oculus," she heard the equally frightened Decim respond quickly. She swallowed loudly as they straightened up, which took the green-eyed man out of his rhythm a bit.

"One cannot be a judge for other people. And the judge has three rules that he must follow to make the right judgement. Do you know what the rules are?"

There was silence for a while, until finally the white-haired man replied, bringing a smile to the guest's face.

"And where is God?" Hanashi had been interested in this for some time, but only when she met the "boss" did she have a chance to find out. But the answer chilled her.

"God left this place a long time ago."

Then, for the umpteenth time that day, there was an uncomfortable silence.