Chapter 5: Howie

May swings his legs as he sits perched atop a short building. Below in the alleyway, he glances at the newest member of his flock fighting off a fairly weak demon. Momentum, standing larger than the rest of the flock, he overpowers the demon like it's an old punching bag. His open, fur-rimmed coat flaps with each swing of his fists, light glinting off his raven-shaped knuckle dusters. The demon desperately tries to fight back, striking Momentum's chiseled abs. But the demon's strikes only makes it worse for itself. Each strike is absorbed into Momentum's skin and turned into energy that he uses against the demon.

It doesn't take long before Momentum beats the demon to a lifeless pulp. On the rooftop, May types out a text with a smile on his face. "Hey boss!" Momentum calls out to May. "I'm done with this meat bag! Come eat it!"

"In a second!" May says, texting one last thing before putting the phone in his pocket. "Anything around?" He asks.

"I see nothing from my side." Talon answers as she hops over to May. For a moment, it would seem like Talon wouldn't make the jump, when her talons spring out and hook onto the edge of the roof and stabilizes herself. If it weren't for the claws, she would look like she's comfortably standing on air. With that response, May kicks off the rooftop. Momentum catches him and lands him carefully on the ground, Talon landing shortly after. He quickly consumes the demon corpse and grabs the crystal. "Now you can get to your date." Talon teases him.

"Can it!" May bites back.

"Ilia seems like a nice guy." Blade suddenly emerges.

"I don't need you piling on too! Besides, it's not like it would work out anyways."

"Well, who knows, right?" Blade says.

"Most important part is that you have fun kiddo." Momentum pats him on the back. "Now get going, don't be late."

"Wait!" May turns to his flock, fixing his hair. "Do I look alright?" The others share a light laugh at his expense. "Do I need to force you back where you came from!" May threatens, waving his right arm in their face. They immediately straighten up. "You look fine, May." Blade answers for them, before the flock turn back into crows and fly off. May puts a hand on his chest, feeling his heart beating violently. He takes a few breaths, before walking back to X-Hel.

There, he hands in his contract to Barbara, finds a seat in the lobby and waits. And waits. Waits... and waits some more. The entire time, May taps his feet and fidgets with his hand. He looks at his phone only to find that five minutes have passed, and he still needs to wait a full thirty minutes before the scheduled meet time. May doesn't know if he can handle the pounding in his heart for this long.

Then Dante comes by. "Hey, there you are! I was wondering where you were when you didn't show up for our morning pizza." He sits next to May.

"Sorry, I was busy in the morning. I had a quick mission to take care of."

"But why so early?" Dante says, leaning in a bit closer. "Hey, are you meeting someone today or something?"

May doesn't know how Dante is always so good at this. He looks away, trying not to let Dante see his blush. "You are, aren't you? Who is it? Sekhmet?" He elbows May.

"No, not her."

"What? So you didn't do anything with her yet?" He leans back.

"Well..." May pauses for a while.

"Well what? You did something then?"

May leans back. "Lets just say I visited her in her room... late at night... and woke up beside four women."