Chapter 45

The next morning, Maddox and I both wake up at the sound of a crackle in the room. We both bolt into a sitting position, on alert and searching for what the sound is and where it's coming from. The mystery is quickly solved when we both spot a single piece of paper on the desk across the room, blue flames licking the edges and then disappearing. We're out of bet and rushing for the desk in the next second, and we both lean over to read it.

I will be in your office at eight this evening. Be there. V

"That's...it?" I ask. I'm confused with how simple it was to get a meeting with Vara. How easy it was.

"I guess so," Maddox replies, wrapping his arms around my and pulling me into a hug. I loop my arms around his middle, laying my cheek against his chest and listening to the beat of his heart. His chin rests on the top of my head, and a small smile grows on my face. Despite everything going on, I feel totally at peace with Maddox's arms around me.

I turn my head and plant a kiss on Maddox's bare chest, then resting my forehead against the smooth skin. "We should give Kennedy a call," I murmur, my lips moving against this skin. I feel a shiver run through his body, and he hardens against my stomach. My small smile transforms into a smirk. I love how such a simple action can have such a big effect on him. "After we take care of this," I say, moving one of my hands from his back and slipping it into his boxers.

"Fuck."

~~~~

We're sitting on the same side of Maddox's desk, the phone laying on the surface in front of us as we wait for Kennedy to (hopefully) pick up the phone. She does.

"Maddox, Harper. It's good to hear from you. I take it you connected with Vara?"

"Yes. We sent her a note and just received a response this morning. All it said is she'll be in my office at eight this evening and to be there," Maddox explains.

"Well, be there," Kennedy says, and I can hear the hint of a smirk in her voice. I already liked her, and that made me like her even more.

"No shit," I grin, and Kennedy laughs. Maddox shakes his head, as if saying "shit" over the phone to an important alpha that most people don't even know exists is inappropriate. He can't his his smile, though, and I blow an air kiss at him.

"She's going to want to make some kind of trade," Kennedy says, and the laughs and smiles disappear. "Like I said the other day, she's a witch of her word, but there's no telling what she could ask for."

"Any other advice?" Maddox asks.

"Don't back down, and don't hide the truth. She'll be able to know you're lying, and she'll be more likely to help if you're straight up with her from the beginning. Have your never had contact with a witch before?"

"No," Maddox responds. "I didn't even know there was a witch in our region until you mentioned it the other day."

"I guess the knowledge of the regional witches has disappeared over the centuries," Kennedy sighs. "Our pack has remained close with ours, as she helps us keep our pack hidden, but I guess other packs don't need the help of the witches anymore."

"Must be the alpha pride," I say, mostly to tease Maddox. It makes Kennedy laugh again.

"If you need any other help or have any other questions, I'm only a call away," Kennedy says. "I truly do hope the meeting goes well and you're able to protect your pack."

"Thank you," Maddox says.

"Seriously, Kennedy, thank you. We appreciate all of your help more than you could know."