Chapter 44

Dear Vara,

We are Alpha Maddox and Luna Harper of the Firestone pack. We require your assistance and would like to schedule a meeting as soon as possible. Please reach out so we can discuss things further.

Alpha Maddox and Luna Harper

"And we just...burn it?" I ask.

Maggie nods, "The note is addressed to Vara. When you burn it, she'll receive it."

I almost don't believe it, but it's impossible to think that Maggie, with her kind eyes and soft smile, is lying about this.

Maddox pulls a lighter out of his desk drawer, and I hold up the small note. He holds the flame to the corner of the paper, and the second it catches, it disappears from my hand in a cloud of blue smoke.

There's no reason to doubt it now. Paper doesn't just disappear like that when it catches fire. "So now what?" I ask.

Maggie shrugs, "You wait. Vara has received the note, so now the ball is in her court."

~~~~

I step out of the bathroom in a black skin tight dress that hits my mid thigh, sheer sleeves covering my arms and ending at my wrist. It's just low cut enough where the curve of my breasts are visible at the neckline. Maddox has never seen me wear it, and it's one of my favorite articles of clothing I own. On our first official date, it only seems fitting that I should wear it.

I curled my hair down my back and shook it out so it falls in beachy waves, and settled for a neutral makeup look with my typical winged liner

I curled my hair down my back and shook it out so it falls in beachy waves, and settled for a neutral makeup look with my typical winged liner. I'm wearing a simple pair of black strappy heels, adding an extra four inches to my height.

Bottom line, Maddox has seen party Harper at her finest, but he has never seen me look this drop dead gorgeous before. And that's exactly the effect I'm hoping to have on him. The goal is to make it all through dinner, but I worry my resolve won't last pass our bedroom door if Maddox has the reaction I'm hoping he will. I'll be holding onto my self-control by a thread.

Maddox is standing in front of the full length mirror on the wall in our bedroom, buttoning the cuffs of his white button up shirt. It's tucked into black dress pants, and his hair looks like just the way it always does: like he just spent the last week having insane, mind blowing sex. Even though that's not always the reason for his hair looking like that, I still love it just the same.

I stop right outside the bathroom the moment I lay my eyes on him. I was so focused on what his reaction would be with what I'm wearing, I didn't even think about what my reaction would be to what he's wearing. I've only ever seen him in dress clothes once, and that was at the mating ball where I barely paid him any attention. I can't believe I was delusional enough to not take advantage of staring at my mate in these clothes from the moment I met him. He's sexy all the time, but something about seeing him so polished has my hormones jumping from fifty to one hundred real fast.

And I'm not the only one. I'm only staring at Maddox for a moment before he hears the bathroom door opening and turns around, his eyes landing on me. They zero in on my dress, and his eyes darken considerably. I know I'm ogling him the same way he's ogling me.

Maddox approaches me, stopping with only centimeters between us. His hands find their way to my hips, my hands land on his chest, and he pulls my body into his. He's already hard, and I'm glad I opted to wear panties simply so the evidence of how turned on I immediately am isn't dripping down my leg. Maddox's lips brush against my ear as he whispers, "I am barely going to be able to keep it together during dinner with you looking like this, but you can bet your sweet little ass—" I whimper as his hands round to my ass and give it a squeeze, "—that I will be feasting on you and fucking you any way I like the moment we return."

I clench my legs together and whisper, "Looking forward to it." My voice is shaky as I say it, my mind and body already consumed with the thoughts of what is to come after dinner (no pun intended). I may be a badass bitch who hates to let other people have any kind of control over me, but I fully intend to let Maddox have and do whatever he wants to my body tonight. With Maddox, there's not a doubt in my mind that giving him that control will be anything other than worth it.

Maddox takes my hand and pulls me out of our bedroom and down the stairs, and I follow along behind him like a brainless Barbie. Between the tingling between my legs and my mate looking sexy as hell, I'm feeling something I don't think I've ever felt before. I'm feeling flustered.

Fuck. There's no way I'm making it through dinner.

~~~~

"I'm sorry," I snort, setting my wine glass down. "Your dad what?"

"When he caught me sneaking out my freshman year of high school to go to some bonfire and drink, he changed my training for a week to what it is now. He made his fourteen year old son train as if he was a full grown alpha."

"I can't imagine that was easy for you," I laugh, a newfound appreciation for Alan growing in my heart.

"I think I puked after every work out," Maddox says, and I start laughing so hard that I snort again.

"The big bad alpha puking every day for a week? That's a sight I would pay to see."

"Not to mention multiple times a day. I was training twice a day already, and he had me doing more in one session than I was used to doing between both of them."

I laugh again and shake my head, calming down enough to take a sip if wine. "Next time we see your dad, remind me to tell him how much of a fucking genius he is," I tease.

"You don't care at all the kind of torture he put his son though?" Maddox pouts, and I want to take his lips in between my teeth. Everything about this dinner has somehow turned sexual in my mind, and though I'm not complaining, it's making it extremely difficult to pretend like it's not the only thing I'm thinking about.

"It seems like your turned out alright," I respond with a shrug, trying to brush off the hormones and focus on anything else.

Maddox's pout turns into a dangerous smirk. You're lucky we're out in public right now. You might as well be screaming through the mate bond how turned on you are right now, baby.

I gulp at the seductive tone he manages to use even in my mind, and I know it's pointless to even try and not pretend how turned on I am. I'll just have to figure out how to use it to my advantage.

Our food arrives; a bowl of chicken Alfredo for me, and steak for Maddox. They both smell absolutely amazing, and neither of us wastes any time digging right in. I think it's the only part of the night where I'm not thinking about how sexy Maddox looks in his button up.

When we finish our dinner and our wine, we order a lava cake to share for dessert. That is also quickly devoured, and Maddox wastes no time in paying the tab. He pulls me out to the car, his hand wrapped firmly around mine, and he even opens the car door and helps me in.

My body is on fire with a need for him. I watch him round the car to the driver's side and slide in to the seat, and he's facing me immediately.

"Are we waiting until we get home, or am I finding somewhere to pull over?" he asks. I see the desperation in his eyes, notice the bulge already evident in his pants, feel the need sizzling through our bond. I'm sure I look the exact same.

"As much as I would love to pull over so I can have you as soon as possible, we'd never end up back home if we did," I respond.

Maddox nods and turns the car on, whipping out the parking lot with a craze that only be found in a wolf in a need for their mate. "Home it is."