[chapter 1] pack up

I sat reading on the couch in my room which looks surprisingly nice despite being a pretty shady program. My room isn't like some five-star hotel or anything it's more of a hospital room, but it has a nice sofa, a closet for my stuff, a chair, a table, a bathroom complete with a shower, a decently comfortable metal bed, and a bookshelf with a shit ton of books. It has been a while since I've been here -10 months to be precise- but to say that things have been odd would be an understatement. The first day was what you'd expect, an orientation, a quick check-up, and a tour of the facility, but after that shit started to get weird, constant monitoring, random tests that includes an impossible obstacle, watching a live surgery, studying the human anatomy, and the weirdest one of all happened just a few weeks ago, I and the other people who enlist were given a weird serum, all of them had different effects on people which granted a different ability, some of got super strength, the ability to glide, control fire, and a few others, but there were also setbacks some were quite tame like being tired after using the skills and some more extreme like trading one of your senses for an increase in another, like losing the ability to see for super hearing.

But unlike the others I was different. My powers haven't activated yet only changed my appearance slightly and made my teeth marginally sharper. I'm not too worried about it though since I've always been a late bloomer, but still, I can't shake this feeling of fear off my back what if I never gain my powers? what if I do and I become too dangerous? Would they kill me? Or maybe even use me against the people I care for? who fucking knows what they'll do to me at this point, probably the former but we can't be sure about that.

||[Time skip]||

It was around 11 pm and I was getting ready to sleep when the door to my room suddenly opened, "y/n l/n ?", said a familiar monotone voice of one of the doctors, "that's me, what do you want? Can't you see I'm about to go to sleep?", I answered the annoyance apparent in my voice, "we are sorry to inform you this late but you will be sent off tomorrow for field testing with a group willing to observe and look after you and just so you know, you'd be leaving by 7.", great, just fucking great, now I have to pack my stuff and sleep later, god, it's like they're trying to make things hard for me. "alright.", I answered monotonously.

The doctor gave me a suitcase to put all my stuff in and then left. I wonder who would want me? I mean without counting in any powers I am one of the physically weakest out of everyone that enlisted and hell my powers aren't even activated yet! What if they end up being useless?! Are just gonna send me back? Like some sort of broken toy, they don't want anymore?! Or want if they didn't choose me and probably want someone stronger? What if they're disappointed when they find out I don't have my powers yet? Stop, y/n stop overthinking again, you should probably just focus on packing and getting some shut-eye, yeah your right me, I want to make a good impression when I arrive and being sleep deprived probably won't help.