8

The Runaway
Chapter
8

"Shelby Women, Part 2"

♡︎

Charlotte feels a chill run up her spine as Polly looks at her, instantly feeling on edge due to Polly's eyes dissecting her as if she were under a microscope. She felt as though with one look, Polly knew all of her secrets and lies she had ever had since she was a child to her time now in Small Heath.

She looked to be around the same age as Arthur, with sharp brown eyes, unlike the rest of the Shelby family that she had met who all had blue eyes, and high cheekbones. Her hair was brown with curls that were partially pinned back, falling along her shoulder. Polly Gray was a beautiful woman, a smart and serious one too from what Charlotte could tell. She knew that the Shelby family ran Birmingham, but out of all the Shelby's she had met so far, Polly was the most cold and calculated from just look alone.

Celeste drags Polly's attention away from Charlotte, much to her relief. She didn't know how much longer she could stay under Polly's scrutinizing stare without blurting all her secrets to her. Ada immediately pulls Charlotte's attention to her as well, keeping up their conversation from before to help ease Charlotte's nerves. She appreciated it.

"Sorry Pol' I need the spare key I gave you to the house for Charlie Rose, she starts working at The Garrison today." Celeste tells Polly giving her a look she understands all too well.

     Polly raises her eyebrows slightly, "alright, it's in the shop in my office." She says with the same look.

     They both then glance towards Charlotte and Ada who are in the middle of a conversation about American film actors before turning towards each other again. Celeste gives Polly a slight nod before sneaking away through the double doors into the betting shop to get the key. She just hoped that Polly didn't scare Charlotte too much while she was gone.

As soon as Celeste walks through the doors Polly turns towards the kitchen table to face Ada and Charlotte.

"Right then, who are you?" Polly asks straightforwardly to Charlotte.

     Polly knew who she was of course, nothing got past her. Charlotte Moore, Celeste's niece from her deceased brother James who had left Birmingham more than twenty-five years ago. Polly never met James, only hearing about him from Celeste. How he would send money to help his struggling family here in Small Heath and wrote constantly checking in on his sister and niece. Polly thought it was admirable how he took care of his own after leaving.

Celeste also told her about James' children, her niece and nephew, Charlotte and Daniel, who she had only met once when they were children during her brothers last visit to Birmingham. Polly didn't hear much about the siblings after, every once in a while Celeste would mention them after she got a letter from James checking in and updating her about his family. That is till the war when James lost his wife. He then died shortly after and his son soon followed, leaving Charlotte all alone. It was a rough time for Celeste and Scarlett when it happened but it was still never mentioned or talked about. They were never known about by the rest of the Shelby family. Well till now that is.