7

The Runaway
Chapter
7

"Shelby Women, Part 1"

♡︎

"So your first shift at The Garrison, do you know how late you'll be working?"

"Harry mentioned that it would be a bit late, till sometime after ten." Charlotte told Celeste as she pulled her burgundy cardigan over her plain white blouse as she got ready for her first shift at The Garrison.

     It was the next day, sometime in the early afternoon and Celeste was searching around her house for a spare key for Charlotte. Knowing that she would without a doubt be working into the night, Celeste wanted to make it easier for her to come and go from the house.

     "Are you sure you want to work there Charlie Rose? After everything Scarlett and I told you? You'll be right in the middle of the shit storm that is Small Heath if you work there." Celeste was still searching for the spare key, expressing her worry for her niece who had just come into her life.

     "I want the job Celeste, I want to help Harry and it'll help keep myself occupied. I'm not going to stop living my somewhat new life here because of the Shelby's or the Peaky Blinders." Charlotte's response was firm, she wasn't going to spend her whole time in Small Heath constantly looking over her shoulder, looking in fear for any old or new enemies she made during her time here. She wanted a sense of normalcy. Any sense of normal she can get in a place like this while on the run.

Celeste stops her searching and looks towards Charlotte, proud of her for sticking her ground but also worried for the poor girl who had no idea what she was getting herself into. She reminded her of her father James, Celeste's late brother, in that way. Always so determined, holding themselves strong and firm no matter what they're up against. It was something Celeste always admired and envied about her brother, especially when he left for America, sometimes wishing herself that she had the courage to leave like he did.

     "You're a tough one girl, I know it's pointless to try and talk you out of it, as stubborn as your father you are." She gives Charlotte a knowing look, "just be careful alright? The Shelby's aren't the only trouble in a place like this."

Charlotte gives her a nod, "I understand Celeste."

     She was happy she wasn't going to try to talk her out of the job like Scarlett had the day before on their way back from The Garrison. Although Scarlett was a bit tipsy and started mumbling incoherently while at the shops about the Shelby's 'cutting bread,' Charlotte's 'hats' and 'well-being.' It was more humorous than anything and she had a hard time trying to stop herself from giggling as Scarlett got more and more upset for her lack of fear for the 'bread cutting hat makers.' Charlotte noticed she hadn't left her room since last night, probably nursing a nasty hangover.

Celeste then shot up from her crouched position as realization struck her, stopping her search for the spare key while cursing to herself.

"I forgot I left the key at Polly's yesterday!" Celeste frustrated after her useless searching, looks at the clock checking the time wearily, "best you just come with me, you'll have to leave for your shift after I get the key to be on time."