14

The Runaway
Chapter
14

season 1
episode 3
Part 1

♡︎

     Charlotte had always been an understanding person by nature. Whether it be friends, family or even strangers, she always had this ability to read people, to observe them and truly understand them, give or take a few. An intuition that she rarely, if ever, ignored.

     It was how she knew that Freddie had a mystery girl the first night she met him. How she guessed and later confirmed that the said mystery girl was Ada. How she connected the little details she would hear around town or from Scarlett, and put everything together herself. It was how as a child, she was always able to tell when her brother Daniel was lying. It was why her father valued her observations when purchasing a new horse at an auction.

     Charlotte always trusted her gut and followed her heart. Though, that didn't mean that sometimes even she was blind to a persons true nature and intentions.

     She had always been sure of herself. Of what she felt and what she stood for, but lately, something had changed. Since Charlotte left her old life, she had trouble understanding anything about herself. Her life had changed drastically in the past few months, turning her world upside down. Making her question everything. Including herself.

     Despite that, she still found a place of understanding and acceptance while on the run from everything that came before. All the blood and the death. Building new relationship's and friendships, but that didn't stop the constant rush of emotions she's felt since she arrived in Small Heath, Birmingham.

     She was never one to ignore what she was feeling, she usually prided herself on how in tune she was with her emotions, but now it seemed as though these feelings rushing through her were unfathomable to her. Complicated feelings that she didn't want to think about, let alone decipher. Charlotte didn't understand any of it and she wasn't sure she wanted to.

     The emotions she felt were wild and unobtainable. Much like the person who was at the root of all these thoughts and emotions she had been feeling lately.

    As Charlotte walked home after her shift at The Garrison that afternoon, she couldn't stop herself from thinking back on the day. The conversations had, that caused the never ending thoughts and emotions that were running through her now.

     Early that afternoon, during her shift at The Garrison, Grace and Charlotte had another chat about the races. Grace mentioned how Tommy had given her three pounds towards her dress and agreed to allow singing on Saturday's. She thought she was finally getting closer to Tommy, not knowing it was under Charlotte's influence.

     Charlotte was concerned for her, the girl much like herself who had come to this city for a fresh start. She would have felt somehow responsible if she didn't tell Grace the truth and she got herself involved in whatever possible scheme Tommy was planning. Charlotte tells Grace the real reason Tommy was paying her, that he gave her money like a whore, not for a dress. She thought this would make Grace rethink her decision to go with him but it was just the opposite.