17

The Runaway
Chapter
17

season 1
                 episode 4
Part 2

♡︎

     "He's obviously not stupid. All we found was stolen tobacco and whiskey." Campbell says to Grace as he arrives inside the museum.

     "Which you left in place."

     "Of course. I would never endanger you." Campbell assures her. Grace goes to walk and he follows after her.

     "You're doing well, Grace." He tells her as he reaches for her arm, walking alongside her.

     "I've been working through Charlotte and on Arthur. He's easier."

     "Than Thomas."

     "Yes." She confirms.

     "Less intelligent."

     Grace glances at him. "Yes."

     "Is that a word you would use about Thomas?" Campbell questions her.

     "It's your word." Grace tells him as she moves her arm away from his, stopping in front of a statute. "He has promoted me. He wants Charlotte and I to be his bookkeeper and secretary"

     Campbell scoffs turning to face her. "A cutthroat gangster with a secretary. The pretensions of these hoodlums are quite breathtaking. Are they not?"

     Grace doesn't even turn to face him as she replies while walking to another display. "Yes. Quite breathtaking."

     "It seems he's starting to fall quite heavily for you."

     "I think Charlotte is still the center of his affections." Grace regretfully admits. "But she's gotten me closer to him through her. Have you found any information on her I can use?" Grace asked as guilt churned in her stomach.

     "I got the basic files on her and her family last week. I am waiting on some new information from an outside source that should be here in a few days. Someone who was close with her family after the war, before she arrived here. They should have more information I can give you." Campbell nods assuringly. "After that it should be easy to separate this woman from Thomas, or to use her for our advantage."

     Grace nods at him, saying nothing else. Campbell senses her possible hesitation.

     "You need not worry, this woman is just a means to the end of our mission. A minor obstacle."

     "She's a good person. She's helped me in my time here." Grace tells him firmly. It was true. Charlotte had been nothing but kind and genuine towards Grace, helping her in a town that was anything but kind towards women. Even if Charlotte was a means to an end, someone Grace was using her for her mission, she had grown to see Charlotte as a true friend and hated using her this way.