13

In the big city of Los Angeles Hondo is putting together his team. The civilians have left to go home to their families.

"What's up, boss?" Chris says joining the others in the conference.

He looks around to make sure Hicks isn't anywhere in sight. He turns to his team bowing his head. "Look, I know this isn't what you signed up for. This is your time to walk away."

"Why would we walk away?" Sweet, innocent Jim Street asks.

"Steve, Buck, all of them, they won't play by the rules. So long as Mashahdi is walking they'll be in hiding. They'll tear apart L.A to get to him. They know where he is but he's hiding. If they take him down then there's going to be bloodshed. I understand if you want out, but I'm backing them up when the time comes."

Luca shakes his head at his boss. "I'm not saying I'm cool with the way they work but if they need us then I'm there."

"Luca's right," Street says, "I met Buck once a while ago. It was after the tsunami. He's a good guy and I understand why you all are a family. After all the people he saved that day including mine, I owe him my life. I'm in."

Hondo nods appreciatively at Street. "Chris?"

"You have me, Hondo."

"Tan."

"I'm with you all the way."

"Deac?"

Deacon seems to be contemplating the offer. He doesn't know whether to step up or down. His family situation makes him question what is the right move to make, Hondo understands that. He knows he has a lot to consider.

Hondo reassured him, "it's okay if you don't want to, Deacon. I understand the position you're in. It's a huge risk."

The man bites his lip before sighing. "S.W.A.T is my second family. Someone comes after one of our own we protect them. I'm in."

He smiles at the man offering his hand. The two shake on it with bright smiles.

"Let me catch you up to speed..."

• • •

At the hotel, Danny and Grace are sitting in their hotel room. Grace is still in her clothes from the day with her long hair falling over her shoulders.

"Danno?" She asks. She folds her hands in her lap swallowing hard.

"Yeah, Monkey?"

He sits next to her placing a comforting hand on her back. Danny notices the tears in the corner of her eyes. A single tear trickles down her cheek. He uses his thumb to brush the tear away.

He frowns down at her pulling her into his side. "He's going to be okay, Gracie. I promise you that."

She sniffles lifting her head from his shoulder. "Don't make promises you can't keep."

He flips her hair over one of her shoulders. "Your brother is strong, just like Uncle Steve. He'll come back and he'll be okay. Steve is keeping a watchful eye on him."

"His firehouse doesn't care, dad. They're pretending he doesn't exist."

"I know, I noticed too. We'll talk to Maddie tomorrow. How about that?"

She nods silently. Her phone buzzes catching her attention. She looks at it seeing a familiar name and a message underneath.

"Danno, can I go hang out with May for a little while? She wants someone to talk to."

"Two hours, okay? I want you back by ten. I trust her to know her way around the city."

She smiles pulling him into a hug. "Thank you, Danno."