Heart Ache

"Have you seen them? The swollen ones?"

"They're just stuffed with extra thick ink. It makes me sick!" Alice growled before completely switching tones "And yet... it's the perfect thing for keeping myself together." You cocked an eyebrow in confusion. 

"If you're going to catch them.. then you're going to have to learn to move quietly." Alice informed as you made your way back to her door. "Come back to my door, I have something you'll need." Alice finished as a mechanical sound of machines moving caused the small weapon station from earlier to reveal a rather large syringe, it was bulky and looked like it was made for collecting a lot of ink. 

You soon walked back to the elevator and pressed the "| |" button, the elevator soon started to ascend up.  

_______________________________________________

You soon found that collecting the ink was harder than you thought.. since every creature you could see was packed with the extra ink Alice so desperately desired, and you didn't want to face her wraith. You walked more until you saw a flashing light in the next room's window. 

A projection headed monster lobbed its way to the end of the room, you felt yourself panic and dove down behind the spare barrels that were carelessly thrown in the room you were in. 

After a few minutes, you came out of hiding and noticed that the creature was no long there. You sighed in relieve as you got up and walked out towards the door connecting the two rooms. You pushed through the doors and ended up where the projection creature was, you relaxed your shoulders for a split second before a ghastly groan and the sound of ink came with the appearance of a Searcher. 

You yelped as you gripped the syringe in your hand tighter before assaulting the horror blob. The creature went down quickly as a puddle of thick ink sat on the floor, you quickly gathered it. When you did, another Searcher had appeared and frightened you as well. Quickly stabbing and taking its ink, you shakily sighed. 

"How sickening! Makes my skin crawl! but the task is done.." Alice regarded, you imagined her gagging in a comedic way in your head to make light of this current situation. "Bring me back my equipment..please." She said in an almost uncharacteristically calm and polite way, making you almost hope that this would be the last job to do. 

You started walking towards the elevator when you heard a male voice whispering. You heard the sound from behind you, but when you turned your head you saw nothing. It faintly sounded like Sammy but that was impossible since he was all the way back in his studio.. right? 

You tried to shake the bad feeling you had in your gut as you made your way onto the elevator, pressing the button to send you back to Alice's floor. A small 'ding!' was heard as you descended. 

____________________________________________

"Once upon a time, there was an angel. And she was beautiful.." Alice began with a very calm and nicer pitch tone of voice. "And loved by all. She was perfect." She said with a sense of accomplishment before her voice quickly turned melancholy. "No matter what Joey says..!" 

You felt a pang of sadness hit your heart as you comprehended what you're past co-worker said. Joey was a bossy and stuck-up man but you didn't think he would insult his own employees like that. 

______________________________________________

"I'll make this simple. Look for valve panels, turn the little wheels, then bring me their power cores. Please don't make me regret sparing you.. I can always change my mind." Alice informed with a menacing tone, you felt your grip grow stronger on the new tool you got. A plunger, of all things. 

You reached the level, quickly getting to work as you bludgeoned the Butcher gang members and Searchers that got in your way. They dropped the occasional power cores which you quickly picked up. You managed to solve the little wheels and successfully open the valve panels. 

"You're quite the efficient errand runner, aren't you?" Alice Angel cooed with an amused tone with how quickly you got the job done. You internally agreed as you made your way back to the elevator. 

The elevator took time to come back up, but when you did you quickly hopped in before pressing a button. 

_______________________________________

You felt this nagging hole in your chest on the way up. The sound from before sounded like Sammy caused this, you thought. It made you remember your feelings and the memories of him, causing you crinkle your face in a sad and frustrated way. You also remembered how Susie also had feelings for him as well, that underlying feeling of competition also nagged at you.

Maybe Susie was over it? You thought but quickly dispensed the thought before hearing Alice's voice break the silence.