~Johnny Cade~

Johnny's POV:

My parents kicked me out for the night again, like they always do, so I decided to head down to the lot for the night. As I approached the tree, I saw there was a person behind it. I scrambled behind the tree in hopes she wouldn't see me.

Y/n's POV:

I quickly turned around and saw a tiny bit of a jean jacket peeking out from behind the tree.  

"Ya know, if you're trying to hide, you ain't doing a good job of it." A boy peeked out from behind the tree. "Sorry... nobody usually comes here around this time."

He came all the way out and I got the chance to get a good look at him. He had curly black hair filled with grease and oil, and big dark eyes. The expression on his face made him look like a lost puppy in a crowd of people.

"Oh, that's okay. You wanna come sit?" He nodded and sat down next to me. "You new around here? I haven't seen you around before." "Yeah," I said, "I moved here with my dad on Friday." He turned to me. "What's life like outside of here?" I looked at him with a confused expression. "What do you mean?" His eyes widened and he immediately backed down.

"Nevermind, sorry." He hung his head.

"I used to live in Stillwater, it wasn't too different from Tulsa, but we never had sunsets like these." I said staring up at the sky. "Oh," he replied, "I've never really noticed the sunset. I guess it's kinda pretty." I turned to look at him. He had a small scar on his cheek. I decided not to ask about it. He probably didn't want to talk about it. "What's your name?" I asked instead. He turned back to me.

"Johnny. My name's Johnny." I smiled. "My name's Y/n." We sat there in silence for a minute, just enjoying each other's company, when we heard the revving of an engine and teenage boys yelling. We looked to see it was a light blue mustang. I heard shouting from the car. I recognized two of those voices as the socs I talked to this morning. What were they doing in the east side this late in the evening? I had a bad feeling about this.

I grabbed Johnny's wrist. He looked at me with surprise. "We should get out of here," I said frantically, "You never know what their intentions are." I pulled him up and we started running. We ducked behind a bush and I put my finger to my lips in hopes they would pass by us without seeing us. Once we heard the car pass, I took hold of his hand again and we took off towards my house.

"Where are we going?" He asked me, trying to keep up with my pace. "My house! We'll be safe there!" "O-ok!" I flew open the door and pulled Johnny inside. "Phew..." I said, out of breath. "Um, Y/n... who is that?" I looked up and my eyes widened. My father sat at the kitchen table.

"Oh!! H-hi dad! I didn't know you'd be home!"

"Y/n, you know I'm okay with boyfriends, but you could've at least told me." He said chuckling. Johnny's face got red, and I noticed my hand was still wrapped in his and I pulled away. "No no! It isn't like that! We were running away from some people, and I figured we'd be safe here."

He laughed and apologized for assuming. He walked up to Johnny and offered his hand. "Hi there, I'm Y/n's father. Johnny took his hand and shook it. "I'm Johnny. Johnny Cade." My dad gave him a pat on the head. "It's nice to see that Y/n made a friend. You two can head off to your room Y/n, I'll be in the main room." He walked away and I led Johnny to my bedroom. I shut the door and sat down with him on the floor. We stared at each other for a second and then burst out laughing.

"You know," Johnny said, looking down at the floor, "even if we were just running away from socs, I still had fun. I looked at him, still laughing a bit. "Yeah, it was kind of like we were spies." Johnny giggled, the scar on his cheek being even more prominent in the light. He caught me staring and looked away.

"Johnny, how did you get that scar?" He reached up to touch his cheek. "Oh... well I got jumped by some soc wearin' a bunch of rings. One of 'em cut me." The tension in the air was prominent. "Oh..." I said, my face full of worry. "Eh, its nothin'. I think it makes me look tuff." He shot me a big smile and I giggled.

A knock came on my bedroom door. "Y/n, I think it's time for Johnny to go home. It's getting late and you have school tomorrow." I turned to my door and back to Johnny. He had a look of genuine fear in his eyes, even if he tried hard not to show it. "Are you okay Johnny? Do you not want to go home?" "Nah, it ain't that, it's just my parents are fightin' and they kicked me out for the night, so I can't really go home if I tried." I looked at him, concern showing on my face. "Do you wanna sleep here tonight? I don't think my dad would mind." "Nah, I think I'll crash at my friend's place for the night." He stood up brushing off his jacket and offering me a hand. I took it and stood up.

Johnny's POV:

When I made it to Pony's house and opened the door, Pony was already asleep in bed, Darry was in the kitchen, and Soda was on the couch. "Hey there Johnnycake," Soda said, "Your parents kick you out again?" I nodded. "Yeah, they're fightin' about somethin'." Darry peeked from behind the corner of the kitchen. "You're welcome to sleep here kid. I'll have Soda get you a blanket and you can sleep on the couch." I sat down on the couch smiling to myself as Soda came back with a blanket. "Whatcha smiling about Johnnycake? I don't think I've ever seen you this happy in a while."

"Ah, it's nothin. I just met a girl today. We met at the lot. Her name's Y/n and she helped me escape some socs." Soda smacked my arm and gasped playfully. "Johnny I never pegged you for a ladies' man!" I swatted him away. "Nahh its nothing like that. We met by accident and just ended up hanging out, that's all." Soda giggled. "Suuuureee. Whatever floats your boat Johnnycake."

I pouted at him. "Don't you have work tomorrow? Go to sleep." He laughed. "Alright alright. Goodnight Johnny." He stood up and went into his and Pony's room.

I curled up with the blanket. My mind wandered over to Y/n. I guess she is a bit of a doll... 

Nah what am I sayin'? We just met today. I pushed away those thoughts and drifted off to sleep.

(Thanks for reading chapter three! I don't know about you, but I'm pretty invested in the story now -^- -Bunny <33)

1221 words