~Laced With Worry~

Johnny's POV:

I felt drowsy as the car drove down the road. Y/n was right, I did need sleep. Now that she's awake, I feel less stressed out, I guess.

"Alright Johnny, we're here." We arrived at Buck's and he took me inside to his room.

"Buck isn't here right now so you can chill for a while. If you need me I'll be downstairs."

I crawled into the bed and pulled the blanket over me. I haven't slept in a proper bed in weeks. It didn't take long before the sleep took over...

"Johnny?"

Ugh. Where am I?

"Johnny!"

I open my eyes to see Y/n. My beautiful Y/n. I smile.

"Hi Babydoll."

"Johnny. You need to help me. Help me. Help me..."

Suddenly she was engulfed in flames. I reached out to help her but suddenly i was frozen in place, unable to move.

"JOHNNY PLEASE, HELP ME!!"

The sound of her desperate cries rang through my ears. Her body turned red with burns, and slowly her cries came to an end and she disappeared.

Left in a blank void, I called out to her, hoping she could hear me.

"Y/n? Darlin? Babydoll?"

"You need to wake up."

I shot up in the bed, a puddle of sweat where i was laying. Catching my breath, I grabbed my jacket, putting it on, running downstairs.

"Johnny? What's wrong man? Didn't sleep good?"

"We need to go see Y/n right now Dal. Right now. Please."

He didn't question it, just put on his jacket and followed me out the door.

The drive back over to the hospital was tense.

"So... are you gonna explain what's goin on, man?"

"...Nah."

"Alright then."

When we got to the hospital, I flung the door open to Y/n's room.

To be met with her sleeping body curled up on the bed. Relief washed over me as I rushed to her side, the steady beeping of her heart monitor acting as a sense of comfort.

"So are you okay now?"

Dally loomed in the doorway, not coming in.

"Yeah. Thanks, Dal."

"Mhm. I'm outta here."

Y/n continued to sleep for a few more hours and I stayed by her side. A nurse brought me a chair so I could sit close to her and I was really thankful.

Small groans came from the bed as Y/n's eyes fluttered open.

"mmm... Johnny?"

"Hi Darlin'. Sleep well?" I said with a grin.

"W-what are you doing here? You were supposed to be with Dally getting some rest."

"I did. But I wanted to come see you."

She gave me a pouty face.

"It's nothing babydoll, I just missed you." I said, booping her on the nose. "So, how are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling better. The doctor came in and put some ointment on my burns and gave me some pain medicine. He said I'm on track to being discharged in a couple days!"

"Thats great Y/n!" I gave her a hug but only met with her wincing in pain.

"A-are you okay? Are you in pain?"

"Yeah I'm okay, just a bit sensitive right now. The burns aren't fully treated."

"Oh..."

I sat back down in the chair, taking her hand in mine and rubbing circles into it with my thumb.

"mmmm.. Johnny?"

I pressed my lips to her hand, giving it a soft kiss. "Yeah babydoll?"

"I don't regret it. Saving you. In that moment... I realized you were my everything, and I couldn't just let you die."

"Y/n, I wish you hadn't."

"...What?"

Y/n's POV:

"...What?"

Did Johnny just say he wish I hadn't saved him? I sat up, turning to face him, cupping his face in my hands. He sat there, avoiding my gaze.

"Johnny... why on earth would you say something like that?"

"I just... for those days that you were out... I just felt so guilty. Like... like that should've been me in the hospital bed. You've done so much for me. You gave me a place to stay, you supported me, and I haven't done nothing for you. I don't deserve you Y/n."

"Johnny Cade." I said pulling his face closer. "Don't ever say something like that again. I saved you because I wanted to. Do you know what you do for me? You make me happy. That's all i want from you Johnnycakes. You're the purest soul in the whole gang. No- the whole world. Don't ever say anything like that again."

I pulled him close and squeezed him tight. I didn't know he was thinking that this whole time.

"After you get outta here," Johnny broke the silence, "I'm takin you on a proper date. What do you think of The Dingo?"

I laughed. "That sounds great Johnny. Thank you."

(Oh lord it's been so long since I've written. I kinda stopped hyperfixating on the Outsiders and lost all motivation to write. Sorry for the shorter chapter. If there is no new chapter from me, consider this the ending. Thank you for reading! Author out. -Bunny <3)