Chapter Six

Tristan didn't speak first and instead allowed Ash to set the tone of the conversation. They sat there with the quiet falling between them for only a moment before Ash chose his topic of conversation.

"I didn't know this bath was here," he started. The omega felt awkward trying to make small talk. He was reminded, once again, how awful his communication skills must be.

"It is my little gem. I bathe here to relax," Tristan said. Ash picked up the hint, or what he thought was a hint, and turned to look at the alpha with a flustered movement of his hands.

"I'm not interrupting your peace and quiet, am I?" he asked in a clearly fretful display. But Tristan made a soft 'shh'ing sound as he scooted closer to Ash but still kept enough distance between them.

"No, Ash. You're a welcome guest to my peace and quiet." His tone was completely honest, soothing in the right way, and helped to ease the concern coming from the omega. His hands lowered to his lap where he fidgeted lightly. Ash accepted the honest answer with the barest hint of a smile on his lips. His eyes were downcast to his own hands before looking around the room a bit. He couldn't bring himself to make eye contact with Tristan though. The alpha felt far too comfortable to be around right now. That thought made Ash worried for reasons he couldn't put into words.

"I offer this bath to you for use whenever you desire. I know this must be incredibly hard for you. I promise I'll do everything in my power to make you comfortable here."

Ash felt terribly selfish now. He was worried about himself and this marriage the whole time that he hadn't considered what Tristan may want. The alpha told him of a curse he needed to break for him. But the entire time he's known the alpha, Tristan has been nothing but patient and kind. The fact that Beau had mentioned murdering Tristan didn't sit right with Ash and he lowered his gaze with a sort of hiccup.

"Is everything okay?" Tristan asked.

"Why are you so kind? I mean, you weren't the first day when we met. But now, you say you'd do anything to make me comfortable, and yet... And yet! There you go saying things that confuse my thoughts."

It was an honest statement, shocking Ash to have made it. His face felt hot as he wrung his fingers out under the warm water. When there was silence between them again, Ash chanced a glance up. Tristan looked good. His long hair was wet and clung to his shoulders as it cascaded down over his back and one shoulder. His emerald eyes were looking off to the side, as though he were formulating the perfect response. The alpha was fit and attractive under the light that filtered into the room through the glass windows. Ash felt embarrassment flash through his thoughts for dare thinking of the alpha in such a way.

"I apologize if I confuse you. Our first meeting wasn't how I had planned for things to go. I had every intention of being more gentle with your situation than Gregory dealt. I sincerely hope I can make it up to you, Ash."

His words were perfect but Tristan was still looking away. Maybe it was the intensity of the moment, but Ash scooted a little closer as he chewed on his bottom lip. This could be a ploy. This could be some scheme to get Ash to trust him. But he knew better. It was his gut that told him Tristan wasn't that kind of person. It was echoing in his head that Tristan was a good man, and he was going to listen.

Ash was close enough now that he timidly reached out under the water to place his hand atop Tristan's. The alpha turned to look at Ash with a mildly shocked expression. His deep emerald eyes flashed for a moment and Ash tried to soothe the alpha with his own blue ones.

"You're a good man, Tristan."

Tristan looked at Ash as though he were the only tether to the world right now. Ash wasn't sure why he was given such an intense look, but he shivered under it. It was at that moment that Tristan nodded before finally breathing in. Had he been holding his breath the entire time?