Chapter Three: Jealousy Pains

"All right." Kent sighed as the bell rang, stepping away from the SmartBoard to face the class as he did so. "No homework tonight, guys. Class dismissed." He said, though I struggled to hear the second part of his statements over the whoops and 'thanks, Mr. Whitlock!'s.

Cadell and I were just starting towards the door as our peers filed out, the two of us conversing softly about the current topic in Chemistry: atomic structures.

"Except for you, Miss Claverly. I'd like to have a word."

"Excuse me." I muttered, before turning my head to look back at Kent. "But, K-Mr. Whitlock, I have to show Cadell to his next class."

His eyes were no longer warm and passionate, but rather two identical shards of glassy ice.

"Fine. Make sure to stop by on your way to lunch, then." He quickly recovered, as his next class began to file in.

I must've bit my lip so hard turning away from him, as the taste of metal began to linger in my mouth.

"Ladies first." Cadell said with a smile, and the nerves I felt from my exchange with Kent began to dissipate ever-so-lightly.

"Why, aren't you quite the gentleman." I mock-curtsied, the blush I donned from earlier in the period burning bright on my cheeks once more once I felt a pair of eyes on my back.

~*~

The halls were swarmed, much like my mind, only adding to how flustered I felt with every step towards the lab. I'd've never seen Kent so mad before - it was frightening, how quickly he caught himself. I'd've only witness him struggle to do so once before - it wasn't pretty. Though he apologized time and time again, his behavior caused my perspective of him to shift, and my uncertainty of our relationship grew.

"So, that maths teacher." Said Cadell, essentially jarring me from my thoughts.

"What about him?"

"Is he always that intense?"

I couldn't help but laugh at that - it felt so strange to me, having someone else notice and comment on Kent's mannerisms. "No, he just gets a bit... territorial at times."

"Territorial? Over who? His students, or just you, exclusively." I clamped my mouth shut once I realized I've let much more than intended slip. Nobody knew about Kent and I other than Ashley, and, though she disapproved, she did listen. It felt natural to have someone alongside me, to talk about the big things that may seem small.

So, quickly, I shook my head.

"All right, all right. I believe you." Cadell said with a chuckle, arms raised in mock-surrender. The playfulness laden in his tone seemed rather... distant, much like the calculating look in his eyes. I chalked it up to the fact that we were headed to math next, though, and kept on.

~*~

After Geometry, I directed Cadell to his next class. I left my own early five minutes before the bell, and met him at the door, to show him to his last one before lunch. Wash, rinse, repeat. I directed him towards my usual table with a few people both Ashley and I extended my circle to, and told him I would be back in five minutes.

I should've felt guilty about such a statement, knowing I probably wouldn't, but he wouldn't have time to miss me once the others at our table got to talking.

So, with that, I started towards my boyfriend's classroom - why can't I get over how creepy that sounds? - and stopped just before the doorway. Taking a deep breath, trying to steel myself for what awaits on the other side, I raise my hand and gave three knocks.

"Blue." Kent called not a moment later, the motion of the door swinging open sending strands of my hair up in flutters. I remembered starting at the sudden movement, finding it strange how he seemed to expect my arrival at that very moment. Then again, I did say I would see him at lunch... didn't I?

"Good afternoon, Mister Whitlock. You wanted to see me?" I asked, trying my best not to cringe at the formality of my tone. Given the tick forming in his jaw, the situation was just as uncomfortable for me as it was him.

"Yes, yes, come in. Have a seat-"

Once I brushed past him, Kent snuck a peek into the hallway to be sure nobody was looking out of sheer force-of-habit. The action in itself usually offered me security, like our little secret was safe, kept between us, and the confines of these walls. Given that they contain the same classroom that he taught my peers and I in on a day-to-day basis, though, I couldn't help the shiver that ran down my spine. Worrying my bottom lip between my teeth, I took one of the seats in the front row, as Kent busied himself with closing the door, and drawing the shutters before the glass square within the door.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, softly, as he made his way over to his own desk.

"I think we both know what."

Ears burning bright pink, I gave a sigh, and wet my lips before I began to speak, "Look, I was just showing him around school; turns out we have a lot in common, actually."

When his eyebrows raised at the suggestiveness of my statement, I gave another, heavier sigh. "It's not like that! We're just friends."

Then, silence. Though I grappled for something else to offer Kent as reassurance, I couldn't help the annoyance growing inside of me. My gaze, once trained on the desk before me, shifted to where he sat, rubbing his own eyes with a groan.

"Oh, damn it." Either corner of my lips twitched upward in a grin, hearing such a word slip from between his lips at this time. Mister Whitlock, revered by the staff and students alike, a potty-mouth?

"What?"

"These damn contacts again." Kent spoke, gaze lifted to the ceiling as he did so. Once I started walking over to him, I noticed the tears lining his eyelids, and plucked a Kleenex from the box on his desk before handing it to him.

When all was said and done, he pulled me into his lap and pressed a kiss to my temple, muttering a soft 'thank you,' against my temple as he did so.

With his arm secured around my waist, I felt the familiar warmth settle in my belly before spreading throughout my body, fast, a toe-curling sensation that made all of the fuss worth-while to me.

"I'm sorry I got so jealous, love. It's just that," I found myself tucking my head into the crook of his neck, reveling in the vibrations his deep voice racked my frame with as he kept on, "I don't think I'll ever be able to get over how... natural you look with boys your age. That's the type of love someone your age should be experiencing - not one in secret, cooped up in a tiny house eating one badly-prepared meal after another because your boyfriend is just as good at cooking as he is sitting through one of your teen wolf binges. It hurts me, because I know that one day, they can sweep you off of your feet and take you away. And I'll be alone again."

My fingertips, once brushing along the back of his hand, faltered at his words slightly before I tilted my head back to look up at him once more.

"Kiss?" I asked, and, without hesitation, Kent complied to my wishes. "I'm not going anywhere. Nobody can withstand the shitstorm that was season 3a in one night like you did, baby."