Chapter Thirty-Six: When Two Worlds Collide

"Fast forward to the night of the accident... Well, the night before." My mother said, a round fruit in her hand. That's all we ate here, were these exotic fruits. They were round and big, yet light as a feather. They changed colors every few seconds and settled into one once you bit it. Her's was bright green. It reminded me of vomit in a way.

She chewed a minute, wiping the clear, watery liquid that ran down her chin and grinned at me sheepishly once she caught me staring.

"It's... I was downstairs with you. Kent had came over with his father. We were on the carpet, watching some kiddy show when they came in through the front door, looking for your father. I said hello politely and Kent scooped you up into his arms. You had your little Ella pressed tight against your chest while he swayed side to side with you in his arms. I thought it was a cute bond you guys had, brotherly and sisterly type love. I was so wrong. And I think I knew I was wrong, too." She said, sighing. I nibbled at my own fruit. It was round and purple.

"Your father came in. He was in the kitchen with your 'cousins'. Kent had a serious look on his face as did Jourdan. They said they wanted to discuss something, particularly the future in private. I felt that it didn't include me, as most things as serious as that seemed didn't. Kent set you down hesitantly and you came running over.

"They had to have spent a half hour upstairs before curiosity got the best of me. They were so loud without meaning to be I could stand by the steps and not miss a thing."

~*~

"You can't keep her from me long." Kent said, his voice low and dangerous.

"Like hell I can't." Blue's father said, pacing the room. He stood in front of the dresser, rummaging through his wife's jewelry box for some money. Maybe he could bribe them to just go away. He read it in an ancient folklore. If it worked then, it could work now.

Jourdan watched him closely. He knew what he was getting at.

"We don't want your money." He said, and that made Blue's father step back from the jewelry box, turn and look up at them.

"I just want to talk to Blue-"

"You are not talking to Blue about this! She's only a child, Kent! You can't manipulate her into wanting to be with you when she's older!" He hissed, glaring at the young boy.

"She has a choice."

"A choice she could make at any given time! She loves me-"

"Like a brother! Not as her-"

There was a gasp from outside. Mr. Claverly looked over at them before pulling the door open. There was a series of thumps like someone was darting downstairs and then there was a sob.

~*~

"You called me mommy when I picked you up. I was in shock. How did I not see it?! We sat in the bathroom until they left. I refused to look at your father when he tried talking to me about it. I was furious with him. How dare he know all along and not tell me, his wife?"

"What happened next?" I asked, chewing on the fruit. It tasted like watermelon and something else, something sour... Like lemon. She looked up at me.

"He soon gave up and left. Then, I started to pack our things. I decided we were leaving the next day, whenever he left."

~*~ Avalon ~*~

After packing my things away and resting for a moment, I opened my eyes and saw Nanj in the doorway.

"Are you ready?"

I slowly nodded my head, blinking the sleep out of my eyes as I slid off of the bed in the guest room I was staying in. I grabbed the small duffel I brought with me and snorted, taking out all of my herbs and my huge spell book titled Ritualia Grimoire. It was a good thing train attendants didn't check bags or I'd surely be in the slammer for 'drug possession' right now. I knew for a fact Nanj new Latin and her granddaughter knew the gist of the language, and that was good. Her mate could follow along and perhaps we would have just the strength we needed to break this awful curse.