ghostbusters - chapter 12

Troy Barnes: Hey do you want to hang tonight?

Me: sure, my place or yours?

Troy Barnes: I'll have Jeff drop me off at yours, Annie is
moving her stuff in so it's a little hectic

Me: annie's moving in?

Troy Barnes: Yeah, we agreed to let her move in because
her last place was sketchy

Me: oh cool

Troy Barnes: You okay? Are you still upset about the party?

Me: no I'm fine

Troy Barnes: You don't seem fine but ok

Me: I'm fine, I'll be home around 5 if you wanna come then

Troy Barnes: See you then

I put my phone down on my desk next to me, glancing at the clock. The day was dragging on, but it would be over soon. There was less than half an hour left, which meant I would get to go watch scary movies and eat all the candy I wanted.

I had gone out and gotten an entire bag of mixed candy and stuff to make lasagna. It was an odd family tradition, but my mom made lasagna for Halloween each year. I've kept the tradition up for myself ever since I moved out. I hoped Troy wouldn't mind. I mean he would probably eat anything I cooked anyway.

"Hi Maisy," Allie said as she dropped her bag on the ground behind my chair.

"Oh, you're here early," I turned towards her, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I didn't have any plans tonight. Figured I would rescue you," she teased.

"You're a saint. Thank you," I smiled, grabbing my bag and getting up to leave.

"Don't call me that today! Now go on, get out of here!"

I laughed, grabbing my bag and getting up to leave. I glanced at the back to see if Connor was in the back office. I noticed him working on one of the books, so I decided to run back and let him know he could head home when he finished up.

"Hey, I'm heading out. You can leave whenever. Happy Halloween," I poked my head into the office, watching him rebind a book.

"Would be if I didn't have to clean the school. Since you know, your boy toy can't keep his hands to himself and I'm being punished for it," he stated, not looking up.

"Not my problem. Goodnight, Connor," I sighed, closing the door before leaving the library.

I made it home and got changed into a pair of pajamas, getting everything started to make my lasagna. I made sure to keep an eye on time, even though I got home early, I still wanted this in the oven before Troy made it over. I had about another hour until he would be here, so I rushed through throwing it together.

A few minutes after I pushed it into the oven, I heard a knock at my door. I ran over and opened it to see Troy, holding a bag of candy and dressed as a pirate.

"Argh," he held the candy out to me, "a peace offering?"

"Get in here," I shook my head and snatched candy from his hands.

"What smells so good?" he asked, closing the door behind him.

"Lasagna," I popped a piece of candy in my mouth, smiling as I gestured to the oven.

"Lasagna? Is that a normal halloween food?" he asked.

"For my family it is," I laughed, "I made enough so you can take some home if you want."

"I would never pass up food. Thanks," he said, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind. He leaned down, placing gentle kisses on my neck.

"Hey now, you don't get to do that yet. Not until you finish whatever form of community service the Dean assigned you to," I giggled, breaking out of his arms.

"He didn't give me any. He let me off with a warning," he pulled me back, spinning me around to face him. I looked up at him, raising an eyebrow.

"He let you off with a warning? Why?" I asked, my hand traveling up to his chest. I played with the collar of his shirt while I waited for his answer.

"I don't know," he trailed off, his eyes following every movement I made across his chest. I felt his breath hitch as my hand trailed down and slipped under his shirt, "He probably knew I didn't mean to do anything wrong."

"But...you did do something wrong. You shouldn't have punched him like that," I pulled my hands away and backed up, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I was defending you, why wouldn't I punch him?" he scoffed, leaning against the counter behind him.

"Because you're capable of speaking and should have used words to de-escalate it, if anything. I had it under control, though. I can take care of myself," I explained.

"You didn't, though. Me stepping in is the only reason he left you alone," he stated, his words growing angrier as he spoke.

"How would you know if he would have left me alone? You didn't give me the chance to do anything!"

"You don't need to yell at me," he stared at me, his stance unwavering.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," I groaned, bringing my hands up to cover my face. I let my hands drop, sighing, "I just don't like having to deal with him being grumpy all the time."

"That's not my problem. It isn't your problem, either. He needs to grow up and just do what he was asked," he walked over to me, tilting my chin up.

"I still think you shouldn't have punched him," I moved his hand away, shaking my head.

"Then I don't think I need to go to the wedding with you. If you can't accept the fact that I love you enough to stand up for you, then I don't think you're ready to be with me," he stepped back, his eyes welling with tears.

"You love me?" I whispered, taking a step towards him. "Aren't you saying that a little fast?"

"You make everything feel fast, Maisy. I don't think it's too early. I think we've made some pretty big strides in whatever this is between us."

I nodded, closing the gap between us, looking up at him. "Please come to the wedding with me."

"You promise not to bring up Connor again?" he asked, grabbing my hand. He ran a finger across my knuckles before bringing my hand up to his mouth and giving it a small peck.

"Promise. You want to eat lasagna with me and forget I ever mentioned it?"