working for the weekend- chapter 5

"Good morning, Greendale! This is your dean speaking. After a long and very boring debate, we will be turning the speakers in the library down. I know what you're all thinking, but fear not! You will all still get to hear my announcements, even when you're locked away studying. Also, whoever put the live raccoon in my office, I checked with the science department. Her name is Reno now, and she lives there. Anyhow, that's it! I'll dean you all later!"

I smiled, standing up on a ladder as I finished turning down the last speaker. Knowing the Dean's voice wouldn't blare through the library every day made life a little bit sweeter.

"Do you think they researched what to feed Reno?" Troy asked, scaring me and making the ladder wobble. I had to grab onto the wall while he steadied it, keeping myself from falling. "Careful there, don't want you getting hurt before our date," he laughed, helping me down once it was safe.

"Thanks, I would rather not topple to my doom from the top of this thing. But yes, they probably did," I sighed.

"I think we should sneak into the Dean's office and try to feed her. Only the approved snacks, of course," he explained as we walked back to my desk.

"I would probably lose my job if that were to happen. But by all means, go ahead," I laughed.

"Fine, be boring. I'll just get Abed to do it with me. But hey, what are we doing this weekend? I was thinking about going to that new trampoline place. They have dodgeball and everything there," he leaned on my desk, watching me as I pulled out my to-do list.

"I'd be down for that. What time do you want to meet up? And where?" I asked.

"Do you want to come pick me up at my place? I don't actually have a car yet. I'm in the process of getting one, though," he asked, rubbing the back of his neck. I could tell he was flexing, which I didn't mind, but I caught myself staring and quickly snapped myself out of it.

"Yeah, that's fine with me! How does twelve tomorrow sound?" I asked.

"Sounds great. I gotta' head to class. I'll talk to you later," he said. I smiled and watched as he walked out of the library. I grabbed my ladder and went to put it away, trying to maneuver through the library without hitting anyone.

"I'll take that for you. Don't want you away from the front desk," Connor stepped in front of me. He reached out and grabbed it, turning to take it to the storeroom. I thanked him and went to my desk, sitting down to work.

"Hey, I'm sorry for yesterday. I know I crossed a line. It won't happen again," Connor said, standing in front of my desk. I looked up at him, raising an eyebrow at the false sense of sincerity I felt in his voice.

"What made you apologize? What's in this for you?" I asked, crossing my arms as I leaned back in my chair. The familiar creaking reminded me not to lean too far back or I would fall.

"Nothing is in it for me. I am truly sorry. I understand that I was making you uncomfortable," he said, shrugging before leaning onto my desk.

"Then, thanks, I guess. I accept your apology. Don't let it happen again," I smiled, fixing my posture as I went back to work on my computer.

"You aren't going to apologize to me?" he asked.

"There it is," I laughed, looking up at him, "Why should I apologize?"

"You did threaten to report me to HR. You were also very rude. I deserve an apology," he scoffed, standing back up straight and folding his arms.

"Unfortunate. You can go to the back office and get to work, but you aren't getting an apology," I smiled, hoping the lack of interest in the conversation was evident. He shuffled away, his groan echoing throughout the library.