Chapter 6 - "You're pretty pleased with yourself, aren't you?"

Hudson didn't last long on the dance floor. By the time the next song was starting, he was done. Ty appeared at his side the moment he reached the VIP section, a bright smile set on her face. "I glad to see your nausea didn't keep you from dancing."

He looked at her for a long moment, like he could see right through her smile. "All I needed was the right motivation."

She was taken aback for a moment at the unexpected answer. Maybe Johnny had been right about the power of alcohol and a short dress. "So, Bianca?"

Hudson laughed loudly and shook his head. "Bianca had nothing to do with it."

She smiled. She hadn't thought Bianca was any motivation for Hudson other than to run in the opposite direction, but she couldn't deny she was still pleased to hear it from him. "Alcohol can be very motivating," she guessed again.

"It takes more than two drinks to get me to dance."

"But something got you out there."

"That's correct," he said. She looked at him curiously. "Let's just say I was in it, to win it," he added, pronouncing the last words purposefully

"Win?" she said slowly, narrowing her eyes. "Win what?"

He smirked. "I bet, you can't guess."

Like Hudson had handed her the last puzzle piece, his motivation became clear. Instantly, she had her answer. She kept her expression blank as his smirk grew bigger. He knew that she knew, but she wasn't going to give him any sort of reaction. She looked at Johnny for confirmation and once again found him waiting on her. He saluted, but this time, it was meant for Hudson.

She looked back at Hudson slowly with scrutinizing eyes. "You're pretty pleased with yourself, aren't you?"

He shrugged like he could care less, but the truth was plainly written on his face.

"You lost me fifty dollars!" she snapped, dropping the charade.

He pointed an accusatory finger at her. "You encouraged the girls to come after me," he countered. "And I danced! I clearly got dealt the worse hand here."

"You barely danced," she scoffed.

"It doesn't matter the length. I had to get on the dance floor." His words came out harsh, but his eyes were playful.

Ty grinned and it only took a moment before Hudson's own smile broke across his face. He relaxed his stance and all the tension between them disappeared. "How did you know?" she asked.

"You didn't even try to be subtle," he laughed. She frowned and he continued. "You went directly from talking with the group of ladies, who have been staring at me all night, to the group by the DJ stand."

"You knew Bianca's group was checking you out?"

He gave her a ridiculing look. "They weren't being subtle either."

She laughed. It was true, but he had seemed so unaware. Reading her thoughts, he answered her question. "With girls like that, the slightest glance can be interpreted as an invitation. Ignoring them is the only solution. Trust me." He said it with such conviction she imagined this wasn't his first go around with the group.

"The club is dark," she motioned out to the dancing crowd and beyond. Even now, it just looked like a shifting dark mass. "How did you see who I was talking to?"

"I have super sight," he said, completely serious.

"So, you use your powers for evil. Interesting."

"If what I did makes me evil, then you're the devil."