Chapter 9 - "Some people weren't made for the betting world."

"He turned to me as if to say, hurry boy, it's waiting there for you!" Hank belted out. His voice was flat and cracked on the last word, but it didn't slow does his enthusiasm. He beat the air along to the drums that led into the ionic chorus. "It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you!"

What he lacked in talent, he made up with gusto. He had taken the stage like a seasoned performer, calling for everyone's attention. By the second verse, his jacket had come off and been flung into the crowd.

By the last chorus, his shirt was half open and his hair stuck out in different directions as he threw his whole body into his performance. He had the crowd in his hand, half the room was on their feet swaying to the beat as they clapped along.

Ty wasn't sure if it was the alcohol that had caused him to leave all his inhibitions behind, or if he was naturally like that. She happily clapped along from the back of the room and cheered loudly as he struck his final pose.

"You really shouldn't encourage him," Hudson said, as Hank took a bow.

"What are you talking about? He was amazing!" she said as she continued to clap.

She cheered again as Hank took a final bow and left the stage. She started to chant "another song" and the crowd quickly picked it up until the whole lounge was calling for Hank to sing again. He motioned for silence and the crowd obeyed.

"I'm going to need a few more drinks if you want another song," he said.

The crowd laughed and cheered as he took his seat and didn't stop until he stood and took one last bow.

As the large room settled back into the reasonable hum of noise and background music, Ty looked at Hudson. He looked bored. This was the fourth time he had come to talk to her since the Hamilton party had arrived an hour ago at karaoke night. He always had a reason.

"Another drink, another round for the table."

But even after Ty had fulfilled his request, he hung around. She enjoyed his company, but she was also aware of the eyes that were constantly searching for him and had to send him away, much to his displeasure.

This time, he hadn't bothered with a reason to come over. She nudged him playfully.

"Just because karaoke isn't your thing, doesn't mean you have to hate on Hank. I'm actually surprised. I wasn't sure how 'The Hamilton Group' was going to handle karaoke."

"Unfortunately, they handle it just as well as six am morning workouts," he grumbled.

"They have such a diverse set of skills."

"'Skills' is being generous," he said.

She shrugged. "The crowd didn't have a problem with his singing."

"People confuse confidence with skill. Hank has confidence. Too much of it." He griped like an old man.

"I get it. Some people are comfortable being in the spotlight," she gave him a pointed look, "and some aren't. Not everyone has the confidence to be onstage." Her smile was an unspoken challenge.

His eyes narrowed as he studied her and she shifted her attention. She looked at the back of the lounge where Johnny and a group of her co-workers were huddled around a table. They had arrived early in the night to judge the performances. She had stopped by to put some fear and respect into them to make sure they behaved.

"Anyways." She smiled brightly at Hudson. "Was there something you needed?"

He had followed her line of sight and was studying the table. When he shifted his attention back to her, he eyed her suspiciously.