Chapter Nine: Stranger Than Fiction

Its only been a day since two reporters showed up at Alex's cabin and harassed Stacey. While Alex and her converse at the cabin, Zachary and Dan focus on the murders surrounding the case. Standing behind his store register, Zachary watches his brother with a mix of worry and anger. "You really aren't going to go out there?" Zachary asks. This is the third time Zachary has asked the question. "I already told you I'm not." Dan replies, "Do I  have to say it in Swahili for you to believe me?" Dan Cladwell avoids his brother's judging eyes as he adjusts his sheriff's badge. "You don't know Swahili, Dan...and Wally seemed really worried he said those reporters scared that girl pretty bad." Zachary says. "She's not a girl. She's an adult. An adult who chose to take a job working with Alex Carter. They didn't call law enforcement, so there's no reason for me to go." Dan says angrily. "You went up there the other day when she was in an accident." Zachary says slowly, "Why are you being this way? Is it because of what happened there? Because of Charlotte?" Dan turns to his brother, eyes narrow. "Don't bring her up again." He says, voice low. "Why not?" Zachary asks, "It happened over twenty-five years ago, Dan. Charlotte's gone. It wasn't your fault." Dan shakes his head. "Wasn't it? Maggie had no one to help her protect Charlotte. It makes me sick thinking of it. After everything that happened...she was the only innocent on in all this. Her and you, Zachary." Zachary sighs, "Stop making me sound like some kind of saint." He bristles at his brother's praise. "If it weren't for me asking you to check on Maggie and Charlotte all those years ago...You'd be walking right now instead of confined to a damned chair." Dan says sadly and squeezes his eyes shut as he runs a tired hand over his face. "It's all my fault."
"It's not your fault, Dan. you had no idea what would happen that night. It was beyone out control. That storm was something mighty. If anyone's to take the blame, it's mother nature." Zachary sighs. Dan nods, "Yeah, I suppose so." They go silent.

    "I heard a rumor about Alex Carter." Zachary says finally. "Oh yeah, what's that?" Dan asks. "That he's looking for answers." Zachary replies. "Answers?" Dan repeats, growing angry. "To what happened years ago. They never did catch that murderer, remember?" Dan nods, "How could I forget?" "And no one to stand as witness...they didn't even find the weapon. The only person that could know what really happened is–" Dan holds up a hand. "Will you stop already?" He spits and begins to pace back and forth. "Why would Carter want to open up old wounds?" Dan demands. "You know why, brother." Zachary sighs, "We both do. I told you not to sell him that cabin." Dan shakes his head. "I told you, it would've seemed strange to deny a buyer because of his last name." Zachary shakes his head, "Not strange at all. You could've said you're still a grieving man." Dan stops in his tracks. "So, more lies? No. I've been through too damn much to deal with it all again." With that, Dan storms off, leaving Zachary alone. Zachary grabs his phone and texts Wally, reminding him to come back to work.

STACEY POV

    I sigh deeply and close my eyes, letting the sun hit my face. "What are you up to, Miss Stacey?" Wally asks. I jump. "Wally? Sorry, I didn't see you there." I reply, "I was just admiring my surroundings." Wally nods and looks around. "It is a beautiful day, isn't it?" He asks. I nod, "There's something poetic about nature after it rains. Like you're witnessing a birth." Waly points to the trees around us. "You can almost smell their life, can't you, Miss Stacey?" I take a deep breath, the smell of wet grass filling my nose. "If you listen carefully, you can hear the birds, too. They must be happy they survived the storm." Wally sighs. "We're all happy we survived." I agree. "Well, I've got to get back to work...but I'll see you later today." I nod, "Sure thing. Be careful on the drive into town." I wave him goodbye, and for just a few moments, try to take in the sounds around me. I close my eyes, listening to the birds, crickets, the wond– and laughter. My eyes open wide as I slowly turn my head. There, standing before me, is a young girl– almost transparent. "Who-who are you?!" I gasp. The girl doesn't speak, but waves her hand, beckoning me to follow. I rub my eyes before looking again. She's soft and fuzzy, as if her body is blurred into her surroundings, but she's there. This can't be real...You're not really here....I'm imagining this. Laughter surrounds me, almost mocking me. "You're not real." I say aloud. Again, the young girl lifts her arm before walking into a copse of trees. She's just another hallucination...I don't need to follow her. I need to get inside. I turn around and head back to the cabin, tucking the little girl's face in the back of my mind.