Visiting Again

I blinked. I wanted my reality to be just a dream. I wanted this little girl's misery to end. Constantly, I asked myself how could things have gotten then far where she would look like this. The little girl cried louder, this time she began screaming. At the same time, I experienced a memory from my past. It was the first time I had sex. I could feel all of it. All of the emotions, the feelings running through my veins, the excitement of it and the shame. Her screams were unbearable like a banshee in a silent forest. I took her hand and led her into the light, not knowing where we were going and she fought me. "Who are you!?" She screamed at me. She was frightened because I was so much taller than she was. I was a stranger nonetheless, maybe to her I look a little like her mom, maybe a family friend, maybe no one at all. Maybe she has no idea who I could possibly be and there was no way way to tell her.  I am Hannah.

I am the one she will soon become. I am her future, one she has never seen or heard of. A future she may not even know is possible. Her tear stains became one with her blood. I sat down on the cold, hard cement beside her. My legs did not have the strength to stand any longer. This way I could look directly into her eyes. She backed away from me, never taking her eyes off of me. "Hannah, I have to tell you that I am so sorry!" Her frown softened a little, and her fragile body became less tense. I sat on the floor still just staring at her bloodied face and hands.