Chapter 12

Chapter XXXIV: The Auld Lang Syne

          Countless people flock the shrines in preparation for the new year. This is to be early for Hatsumode, the first visit at the shrine of the year, which occurs in the first, second, and third of January. Prior to this, vendors line up their stalls, selling different food, and of course, fireworks. In the afternoon, the squad gathers at the shrine and Kota shows up. Asahi isn't with them though. When Kota gets close to Akiko, he finds something dangling around her neck.

"Hey, what do you think you're looking at?", she asks.

"Oh nothing", he says as he whistles and kinda looks guilty. Akiko's cheeks lighten a bit and says,

"Fufu, you can look whenever you like to-"

"That's ... Something else", says Kota.

Enmei calls them saying,

"Y'all, let's check out the food here."

          They then order different varieties of food such as Takoyaki, Yakisoba, Udon, and others.

          At this time, the place gets crowded. As a result, each one of them gets separated from one another. Kota tries to find Akiko through the ravaging sea of people. He reaches out his hand and calls for her but as it clears, he comes out with Hanako. Others in different locations, like Enmei, got Gin while Tengen finds Asahi hanging out with Eri. He asks him if he wants to come with them. The latter refuses so Tengen wanders off to find the others. On the other side, Enmei and Gin go to the different stalls and play some shooting games. They also go to other stalls to look for charms or souvenirs.

"I think I really need a charm in case if bad luck will struck me when I'm cycling", says Gin.

"Wait, you bike, right? Bruh, what is the farthest place you went to?", Enmei asks him. He replies,

"I think it was Nagoya."

"Well, I hope you wouldn't get the opposite if bought this, lol", suggests Enmei while Gin picks up a charm and examines it carefully.

          As Kota and Hanako look for Akiko, they come across stalls selling pets. One of which is a blue bird locked in a cage. It knocks the cage over and breaks free while the stall owner tries to capture it back. On the various crowded streets, they run into Toshiro and Sato, who are doing a research about the importance of the shrine during the new year.

"What are you two doing here?", Toshiro and Sato asks. Hanako and Kota respond,

"We went on a hangout with the gang but got separated from them". They therefore continue to find the others.

         Time goes by and the gang finally reunites with one another with the exception of Akiko. It's getting dark and as Kota goes to buy a drink, he runs into Toshiro again.

"Are you looking for Akiko?", he asks. Kota nods and Toshiro points at the highest part of the shrine. He runs to the place but gets interrupted by Asahi and his friends.

"Hey, want a drink?", the latter asks. Kota answers,

"No, thank you" (Kota)

"Come on man, I insist, just for a bit", Asahi persuades him but,

"No, please, I have somewhere to go, I better get going. So yeah, enjoy your day, dude", Kota says as he disappears into the crowd.

          He rushes to the top of the hill as the night sky darkens more and the place illuminates with festive lights. When he gets there, he finds nothing but more people. He really has no idea where to find her now. A firework lights up the area like a flare from the heart to the mind. Something then sparks his mind so he rushes on the narrow path that leads to a cliff with a great view. A silhouette of a girl is then seen standing under the bushy trees and plants. As he approaches her, he walks slowly to her side and says,

"What a nice view up here."

Surprised, she says,

"You can say that again."

          They enjoy the bright and festive scenery as they compliment it. Due to this, he says,

"Light flashes before the people,

Like a certain memory to a person."

          Listening to this, Akiko adds,

"But a different color sparks a candle,

And blooms another for a newer vision."

          Silence erupts and Kota has something to say to Akiko. He looks up at the moon and implies,

"The moon is beautiful, isn't it? (Tsuki ga kirei desu ne?)"

          Knowing already the meaning of this, she looks at him with a vibrant smile and says,

"I know that you love me."

          Silence once again erupt, where the festive ambiance can be heard from below. As the wind blows,

"About what I said in the letter, don't you think it's a bit weird?"

"Nah, but I think it's kinda cute", she replies back.

"I see you're wearing the key again" (Kota)

"Oh, it's been sitting on the shelves and of course, it reminds me of you" (Akiko)

"Doesn't it make you think of the memories back then?" (Kota)

"Of course no. Let's say, it reminds me of you, the new you. Honestly, it also means that I'm now open to you. But I'mma just use it on hangouts since it's kinda personal" (Akiko)

          Kota feels flustered with this kind of reply.

"I hope that if anyone sees us like this, they won't try to get the wrong if you know what I mean." (Kota)

"Yeah, but keep in mind, don't worry. Ignore what they say. The important things is that we got each other." (Akiko)

"Like what they say in the song, every mistakes, and every incidents we had back then, should never be brought to mind as we take a salute to them, bringing us substantial lessons that we learn from it." (Kota)

"I hope we'll have fun with a new beginning and a new journey in this new year." (Akiko)

          They then hug one another. The others also rush to the top and as Enmei peeks on the two, he signals the group by counting fingers and whispers,

"One-Two—SHEESH!"

          The two get embarrassed as they turn around. They continue to explore and get some snacks again. After that, they all go home and celebrate the New Year with their families.

          Exhausted, Kota goes to bed after the celebration. As he digs into his subconsciousness, he finds himself lying on the sofa feeling feverish. He looks at the phone and reads no greetings whatsoever, like none from his friends or even classmates. He then goes to the dining room to eat something. As he begins to bite the food, he feels severe pain in his tooth, coming from the molar regions. A void shifts him into a different scenery. He opens his eyes to find himself in a beautiful garden full of flowering, ornamental, and wild plants, as well as colorful butterflies. In a moment, the most extravagant of all butterflies, leaves the room. But hours later, it comes back and lands on blooming spider lily. Amidst the harmony within their habitat, a giant moth intervenes as it duels a blue butterfly. However, the other butterflies gather a swarm to drive it away. Before he can even see the outcome of this, Kota wakes up. He wonders what does the dream mean but forgets it immediately. He looks at the clock, stating that the new millennium has arrived.