Chapter Six: Of Spirits and Maidens

Flying was not something Casey had ever done, nor had ever wanted to do. She clung to the spirit in front of her, hoping not to fall off the giant dragon they rode high in the sky. Other spirits and dragons weaved in and out around them with similar sized dragons.

"Sir Godly! How is my favorite mortal farring?" A spirit with a mossy beard asked, coming up beside them.

"Not well I'm afraid, I lost my sword and am now left protecting some of the most helpless humans I have ever come across," Sir Godly said with a sigh. "But I can do it!" He posed despite being on a flying dragon and flexed his muscles. "No quest is ever too much for me."

"It's nice to see you and Idola together again, it's been awhile since she was with a real man," the spirit said with a teasing glint in their eye.

"Pa! Do not insult my chosen partners in favor of this mortal hypocrite." Idola huffed and steered her dragon away. "Stupid pa and his love of knights. Why doesn't he just date Sir Godly himself?"

Sir Godly coughed very loudly. "I beg your pardon but I am into maidens only. I am not fluid like you spirits."

Rolling her eyes, Idola had the dragon swerve, almost knocking Sir Godly off. She snickered when he was forced to sit back down in order to not fall from the flying dragon.

"Because of the things we have to journey through in order to reach where we are going, we're going to need some solid warriors to accompany us. Sir Godly may be capable—kind of, but without at least three solid fighters, we won't stand a chance on this journey," Idola stated. "That's why we are stopping by the tavern in Herosville, the land where heroes are born."

"Noooo, not Herosville," Sir Godly whined. "It's full of too many pompous, overpowered and might up I add overpriced heroes. Just because they come from 'the land of heroes' doesn't mean they are worth the price of a house in coins."

"Do you have any better ideas? Oh great knight?" Idola asked, glaring back at him with emerald eyes.

Casey sank a little lower. It was awkward as hell to be in between two arguing people. But with being over a hundred feet in the air it wasn't like she could just move or retreat.

Meme looked up at her, there was a sour expression on his face but he said nothing. He hadn't talked to her since they left the palace. How much longer would he punish her for her decision? The determined glint in his eye indicated a very, very long time.

"There's a town nearby called Beastville, we could get outcasts that are just as capable for half the price because they don't know their true value." Sir Godly nodded sagely. "We just have to make sure they don't swindle us."

Idola shook her head. "You are a fool, Sir Godly. Doing something like that would risk the whole quest. If coin is the issue, I can pay for the heroes we hire. I'd rather that than risk getting robbed of everything we have by some no gooders."

"They aren't no gooders, they are just lost kids who need some direction—and intense therapy," Sir Godly murmured. "Why, I was an outcast once, but look at me now." He flipped his golden hair, throwing it in Jack's face. "I'm not only employed by his royal highness but I am good looking and clean."

"Well, let's take a vote, raise your hand if you want to go to Beastville," Idola said.

Sir Godly and Meme raised their hands.

"Raise your hand if you want to go to Herosville."

Jack, Idola, and Casey raised their hands.

"Then that's that, we just have to get through the witches bog to reach it. I hope no one has eaten recently because it makes you a more desirable meal."