Ch 5: Family Affair

Morpheus laid upon his California King size bed with several female angels by his side. Morpheus kept his room dark with his satin red sheets. His black wings were stretched to the fullest extent, revealing his black pants and cut off black shirt. The angels wore pure white dresses as they laid on Morpheus' bed clearly enjoying his company.

Morpheus' door was suddenly pushed open as his sister, Overia entered his room without permission.  The slamming of the door made all of the angels jump in fear. However, Morpheus looked upon Overia with pure rage. 

"Did I tell you to enter?" Morpheus snapped at Overia.

Overia was unfazed by her brother's attitude and glared at the angels. "Exit," Overia ordered. Her status in rank was not questioned. In the eyes of the angels, she stood as an equal to her brother. It did not take long for all of the angels to evacuate the room.

Morpheus sat up on his bed as he glared at his sister. "What do you want?" He questioned.

"I want to know why you would pause time during the daytime hours?" Overia snapped. "We had an agreement."

"I didn't pause time."

"I find it odd that for five minutes there was not a single daydream across the entire world."

Morpheus looked at Overia confused. He had no need to stop time, in fact, he doesn't even know if he has that ability. The world is in a constant rotation where he and Overia shared the time equally. Overia takes care of the humans during the daytime hours, while he tortured them at night.  The agreement worked perfectly, as long as he played nice with his sister she would not disturb him in the evening hours of the world.

"This is father's doing," Morpheus said putting the blame on their father.

Overia glared at Morpheus. Morpheus was the God of Nightmares after all. With his recent actions, he was given the nickname the God of Night Terrors.

"Father's doings?"

"He is probably acting up in his old age."

"We are immortal, Morpheus."

Morpheus just shrugged at his sister's comment. The smirk on his face angered her further, however, that is an issue for another day. Morpheus needed Overia on his side at the moment. In order for him to grow stronger, Overia will have to continue to use her spiritual energy to control the daytime hours, while Morpheus was able to store his spiritual energy. 

Without getting the answers she desired Overia left Morpheus alone.

The ability to freeze time was a power unknown to Morpheus, and worth investigating. Morpheus traveled to what used to be his father Hypnos' chamber. In the center of Hypnos' chambers stood a stone thrown ten feet tall. The chamber which was once decorated in white and gold was now red and black.

Behind the throne was a level, which was the pathway to a hidden staircase under the throne.

Morpheus seemed all too familiar with the pathway as he traveled through the darkness. When Morpheus reached the base of the pathway there was a small shimmer of light. He chuckled as the light hit his face. "You were right, I don't think I will ever get tired of watching you be chained up."

Morpheus looked upon the fragileness who was once known as the God of Sleep, Hypnos. Hypnos's body was nothing more than skin and bone as he hung by chains that were attached to the stone wall. Both sets of wings were retracted due to his inability to summon them.

Pain and sorrow showed in Hypnos's eyes as he faced his firstborn. The trust that was once there is lost, however, Hypnos will never disgrace himself by praying to his son, or another God for that matter, for mercy. Hypnos saw every meeting with Morpheus as an opportunity for freedom.

"Morpheus, what more can I give thy?" Hypnos coughed up.

"The power to stop time," Morpheus answered. "Overia accused me of having it, so now I want it."

Hypnos just stared into Morpheus' eyes as if he was trying to read his son. "You may be powerful, but I fear that you lack the basic knowledge to control it. When too much power goes to the head decisions are made with lack of judgment." Hypnos warned.

"Are you forgetting your current state, father? I am the final judgment!" Morpheus laughed.

"You are nothing more than a God who lives within the Land of Dreams. You control the unconscious state of mind. You judge nothing."

Morpheus punched Hypnos in the stomach. The impact caused Hypnos to go limp. Morpheus then grabbed a hold of Hypnos's shirt as his arm glowed a lime green. Hypnos yelled out in pain as Morpheus began to drain his spiritual energy.

"You don't even have the spiritual energy to hold your head up. How dare you have such audacity to stand before me?" Morpheus asked.

Hypnos used the little energy he had left to look into Morpheus' eyes. "You may have tricked your sister, but I have hope in my son."

"You have no other son."

Morpheus left Hypnos limped, as he exited the dungeon. How dare Hypnos speak to him in his current state? How dare Hypnos question his authority? He was dethroned in battle, yet he speaks as if he is in control.

How dare Hypnos compare him to a forgotten God? A God that he himself banned.

Morpheus returned to his room wondering about his newly found information. There was a God out there with the ability to stop time. An ability that directly affects Overia. Which means it could directly affect him.

He wondered who yielded such a power, and what they were up to now.

Unbeknownst to him, the holder of such a power sat upon a chair that was five sizes too small as he used a yellow crayon to color in the sun of his newest assignment, the family tree.

"What did you draw Elli!" Teri asked as she sat next to Elliotes.

"I drew my mom, dad, sister, and brother," Elliotes said as he looked at his drawing. A lot of time has passed since he last saw them. He wondered what they were up to and he prayed that they were doing well.

"I have no siblings."

"That's good. Siblings could be mean. My brother kicked me out of my home."

"Did you kick him back?"

"That's not what I meant by "kicked," Elliotes said with a laugh. Still, he might just take Teri's advice and kick his brother if he ever sees him again.