Ch 14: Father Figure

Elliotes sat upon the roof in the evening hours. He was enjoying the coolness of the night air as he looked up at the Heavens.

He said goodbye to his sister after denying her earlier request of returning to the Land of Dreams with her. He feared that going back now would not be beneficial. He had no energy to face Morpheus, nor did he have the courage to face his father.

Whatever their battle was, it was not his to fight. Even if Teri wants him to. Elliotes knew that Teri asked him to prevent Morpheus from hurting anyone else, but he didn't know how. He also didn't want Teri to get into the crossfire.

Worst of all Monica's words cut him deep. He never meant to hurt Teri, he just wanted to protect her.

Right now Teri was sad because she didn't have a dad to go to the dance with. He was not her father. All he knew was how his father treated him and he would not do that to Teri.

Could he even be a dad? Even if Teri asked him to, it didn't sound like it was her decision to make. It is up to Monica whose Teri's dad is. Does he just ask? Is there an application that he needs to fill out?

How would that affect his relationship with Monica? What was his relationship with Monica? Was his existence affecting her negatively?

Inside Teri was at the kitchen table coloring waiting for dinner. She was drastically editing her family tree project. "I wish I had a dad," Teri whined.

Monica, who was attempting to ignore Teri, continued cooking. Teri saw this as a challenge and raised her voice. "I wish I had a dad!" Teri whined louder.

Monica gave Teri a look that commanded silence. "Do you want a dad or just someone to take you to the dance?"

"Yes!" Teri answered, however, Monica didn't know what question.

"Ask Elli when he comes inside." Monica waved off.

"Girls aren't supposed to ask guys to the dance."

"Who said that?"

"The inner web." Teri disclaimed.

Monica wondered how Teri found that information on the internet when it is set to parental controls. She had the computer so locked up that she even struggled to log onto it. This was a teenage problem and she decided to have that conversation in the future.

The dance was coming up tomorrow during school. Teri had time to ask him, she just didn't know how.

Teri ran over to the candy drawer and grabbed a bag of Jelly Beans. Teri began to run from drawer to drawer grabbing tape and scissors. As soon as Teri made it back to the table Monica walked from behind her and took the scissors.

"Hey!" Teri whined.

Monica handed Teri the children's scissors, which in return Teri threw on the floor.

"Girl!" Monica warned.

Teri ignored her mother's warning as she went to work on her drawing. When she was satisfied with her drawing she tapped the bag of jelly beans to the back of the drawing.

Elliotes walked into the house at that moment and Teri nearly jumped on the table attempting to hide her drawing. Elliotes walked over and picked up the scissors off of the floor.

"Monica, can I ask you a question?" Elliotes asked.

"What's up?" Monica asked as she continued cooking.

"Is my presence here causing difficulties in your life?"

"Nope," Monica said as she began to prepare plates for dinner. Teri's sudden presence caused difficulties in life. Elliotes presence was a walk in the park. 

That answer was not good enough for Elliotes. There was no way that answer was true. Ever since he has shown up Teri has been having frequent nightmares keeping her up. Teri was also kidnapped. Plus he brought his family drama into her house.

Monica even accused him of using Teri as a telephone which could affect her mental health.

Elliotes went to sit next to Teri. As soon as he looked at Teri, she grabbed her papers and ran away to her room.

"Why did she run away?"

"She wants to go to the dance, and she doesn't have a dad," Monica explained.

"Is it a big deal that she doesn't have a dad?" Elliotes asked.

"Depends on who you ask. Some will call this a broken home, others will call me strong for raising her alone. But I am not just going to bring some random guy home to try to play house." Monica said as she handed Elliotes a plate. "Now playing house with a random God that fell out of the sky. That's something to brag about."

Elliotes let out a little laugh. He never thought of where Monica was coming from. She just took him in with open arms. No questions asked. No ulterior motives. He thinks.

"So, are you going to ask Teri to the dance, or am I going to have to listen to her whining about not being able to go," Monica said.

"You would let me be her dad?" Elliotes said hopefully.

Monica glared at him. "No. But while you are here you can be her father figure. She understands that you are not human and that one day you will go home. So, while you are here, if you want, you can have that role."

Elliotes nodded.

"Teri, dinner!" Monica called.

Teri walked out of her room after changing into her pretty pink dress. Teri was holding two sheets of paper. One piece of paper had the pack of jelly beans tapped to it while the other had a bunch of scribbles on it.

"I have prepared a speech." Teri announced. "To confess my love."

Monica placed her hand on her face in total disbelief. She has to figure out how to edit the parental lock on the computer and add one to the television. Maybe she could get rid of the television altogether.

"Elli, you have become my best friend in such a short time. And I don't have a dad. So I choose you. And we can be together forever." Teri said as she presented Elliotes with the paper.

Elliotes walked over to Teri and picked her up as he looked at the jellybeans and the drawing. He has seen her family tree art project before. Added to the inside of her crooked circle, an additional stick figure stood between the two prior ones. He recognized that the taller stick figure in the red triangle dress was Monica. The smaller stick figure in the pink triangle dress was Teri. The newest stick figure did not have a triangle dress. It had multiple lines in various colors coming from the back.

"Elli, would you be my dad?" Teri asked.

Elliotes let out a nervous chuckle. "I don't think I can be your dad." Teri looked disappointed. "But I would love to take you to the dance."

"Really? Yay!" Teri cheered. "Mommy, I got a date to the dance."

"What kind of shows are you watching?" Monica yelled. Some questions are better left unanswered.