Part 6: revelation

Astonishment filled her while she's riding the car. It was a huge estate and she hasn't seen one larger. At first, there was nervousness when she called Caleb. Charles told her they need to travel by air to see her mother. She was surprised when Caleb did not protest, so she didn't ask. They flew through a private jet to Vermont country for 5 hours.

"Does she own this estate?"

"Yes, Madame. She worked hard for years until she became powerful and successful to have you back."

She didn't ask what he meant. Her lips curved when she saw a huge horse stable. The car stopped. She saw a woman standing next to a huge black horse. Her heart beats faster. Charles opened the door for her.

"Is that her?" Charles smiled.

The woman looked at their direction and move forward towards them. She embraced her tightly. She started crying like a baby finally found her mom.

"Mama..."

"My love..." Victoria broke their embrace and held her face. "Look at you... you've grown beautifully even without mom!"

"But I need you..." Victoria tried to hold her tears but she can't control it anymore.

"Mom's very sorry...but I'm here now, I'm here now Jane. No one can ever hurt you anymore." Jane held her hand feeling the warmth and comfort of her mother's hand on her cheeks.

When she saw Victoria's face, she knew it was really her mother. Her familiarity and warmth reminds her of the woman who always stood for her.

"Mom, I'm married now."

Victoria's smile faded. Let's talk about that.

"Charles, please tell them to prepare a dinner...no, a feast for my daughter."

She held Jane's hand and lead her to the car.

The escalade stopped before a staircase leading to the chateau.

"Mom, do you live here ever since?"

"No. I only live here 2 years ago. What do you think about the place?"

"It's beautiful! It's like those places I told you in my dreams when I was a kid."

"I bought this place for you, honey. This was your dream! And that stable and horses? I bought for you as well. I remember you telling me your dreams. I was heartbroken when I learned you didn't pursue that."

She leaned on her mom's shoulder with a comfort in her heart. "Mom, what happened to you? Why did you leave me and dad?"

Victoria's eyes became colder.

"I was forced to leave. You think mama will leave you? If I had a choice then, I won't leave you with them."

Victoria tightened her grip on Jane and felt the latter.

"I was betrayed by your dad and her mistress." Mistress? Jane thought. "Is that auntie Isabel?"

"They accused me of many things. From stealing critical and significant documents from your father's company to cheating. Only to realize your father has been cheating on me. I was afraid that your father might leave me so I stayed quiet. He brought her to our own room, to important events that should be me in the first place. I felt little and cornered. To keep him and you, I did not argue with him about his mistress until Isabel manipulated him that I cheated behind his back. Ironic but it happened."

Jane felt bad for her mother. 'Is that why he hated her? But no, he cheated on her mom. That's unreasonable.'

"They dragged me out of our house. He held my head and push me out. I will never forget that that because I was physically hurt but they insulted me. They made me feel like I'm a filthy rag. Your father threatened me that he will send you somewhere I will not know so I agreed with the divorce and tried to visit you from time to time but every time I do that they won't let me..."

Victoria faced her. "Listen Jane. No one should know you've seen me except your husband. I will go back to the Sky City and avenge you. I know what they did to you. I was planning to get you before your wedding but decided to delay everything. This is the right time."

"Mom, you don't have to. They're not worth it. The company is going down and the finances are detoriating —"

Victoria stopped her. "I was the one who founded that company, Jane. It was my idea, my mind. They accused me of stealing a document of the company and sold it to the other company. If he only cheated on me, I will just move on but he spread false narratives against me, degrading my character. You suffered in their hands. I will not let them go until they kneel in front of you."

Jane saw the hatred on her mother's eyes. She never wanted any trouble that's why she stayed quiet for years. She touch her mother's face and rub her thumb.

"Mom, just make sure you won't get hurt." Victoria looked at her.

"Let's go inside!"