Accident

My eyes were not ready to open. It went all wet and teary. I then heard another voice.

"Did I disturb you guys? I am really sorry."
A female voice behind the bars.

"Ohh c'mon, stop joking now. " the male voice said.

All three went to the building area. I preferred not to make any sound. My footsteps could be a reason for my death.
I texted Poppy after 5 missed calls. I asked her to wait for me. After almost an hour, I heard cars getting started. I slowly moved and peeped. They left the place. I finally had a breath of relief.
I ran out of there and went to pick Poppy. I am sure, she might have cursed me for this time.

I finally found her waiting for me. I said sorry for a couple of times and then went back. Her luggage was already delivered to my door. The following few days went on arranging her stuffs on the other room.
We finally had time after days and the next weekend we planned for a picnic.

We got ready and packed lunches and snacks.
The spot was not so far. It was a nice waterfall place. I gave Poppy to ride but she didn't learn it yet. Unfortunately, I had to.
We reached the place. It was so nice that it made me smile. It was peaceful and soothing, that I needed since weeks.

We sat together watching people diving in and playing. A beautiful sunset and then we packed up. I asked her to wait for me and I went to bring my bike.

It was getting dark. I finally found my bike and went back to Poppy but she wasn't there.
Where did she go?

I checked the area, washrooms and asked a few people, but no one saw her. I started to shout her name. But no reply, I started worrying about her.

I sat there helplessly. Suddenly a sound came, of a car. I ran towards the sound. It already left the place but I saw something at a distance. I slowly went closer and realized that someone's lying there. I ran to see it was Poppy, her bead and face covered with blood. I shook her but her didn't respond. Thankfully she was breathing. I bought my bike, tied her to myself and flew to the hospital. After all treatments for almost an hour. She woke up. I was scared and unconscious.
The doctor called me to the cabin and asked

"What happened to her? How did she get hit?"

"Believe me doctor, I know nothing bout this. We went for a picnic and when I got back from the parking she was lost. I then I found her in this condition. "

"You must ask her. This can be a matter for cops. For now, she is fine. The head injury will take some time to recover. Give her the prescribed meds on time."

"Thank you doctor."

I walked to the room of Poppy. She was awake. She saw me and tried to speak.

"Calm calm, it's okay. I am here. Everything is fine. Take your time. I can listen to you after you feel comfortable."

She smiled and closed her eyes. She is really someone precious for me. I can't see her in pain. I slept at the cabin and woke up early. She was still sleeping. I went out and roamed around.

I saw a hustle. There was an emergency. I tried to look, the staffs brought someone whole in blood and rushing to the emergency cabin.
I followed them and got a glimpse of the injured person.
I was shocked.

"James"
I ran behind and saw they were admitting him to operation theater. I asked them what happened. They said they knew nothing, some local roadside brought him. Seems like a case of accident. I told them he's my classmate.
They asked me to wait and I signed at his admission form.

I was unconsciously thinking and waiting. My voice was trembling in fear.
After almost an hour, the doctor came out. He informed that it could be major if not brought on time. And they have tried their best. It may take him a few hours to wake.
He got shifted to normal cabin. My hands were ice cold holding the handle of the door. I entered and saw him innocently lying on his bed. For the first time, his face had some expression other than the serious one. It was a peaceful and fragile face. I sat beside him.

His left hand was badly injured and bruises on leg. I then got a call. Poppy woke up.
I went back to her. She was having her breakfast. My stomach asked for it too. So, I went out to buy some bread. When I came out of the hospital, there was a black car standing on the other side of the road. I don't know but I've seen this somewhere. Cause the number plate was red. I memorized the number and wrote it in the phone.

My mind didn't work so I preferred some food before I rethink. I ate sitting on the bench outside the hospital and tried to spy on the car. A man came out, whole back suited like a guard or member of some club.
He called someone and then got back. The black car went far away.

I went back to James cabin and sat. His face was looking like a small child's face, innocent and cute.
No ,no, no Rose.
I saw his expressions suddenly changed. He was looking worried. He was panting. Might be like a nightmare. His hand touched mine and he held my hand tightly. I rubbed his hand.

"It's okay. I am here. Calm down. Everything's fine. "

He then slowly calmed and I saw his eyes moving. He then opened his eyes and saw me.
I could read that confusion on his face.

"You...how?"

"Please, don't try to scold me for this now. Just focus on what you're facing now. What happened? How did you get injured? Was that an accident?"

"You didn't bring me here ?"

"No, I was here when I saw the nurses rushing and then I saw you in blood. I just lost my mind and...."

"And?"

"Ummm, nothing. I just came to see you. Just because I was here ,okay. Nothing else."
My eyes lost the contact and I hesitated.
I didn't notice he was still holding my hand. I suddenly saw it and thought whether to pull or leave. His warm hand was now making me cold. He also saw and left my hand. We both hurriedly pulled it back. I then asked
"You've still not made it clear. How it all went?"

"Just a road accident. "
His face suddenly changed for other tensed expression. He asked me in fear

"Did you see my bike?"

"No, some local roadside brought you. I don't know anything about your bike or stuffs."

He was relieved. Like what, this should make him more tensed. This guy is literally a puzzle or must be crazy.
I then asked him for a leave.

"Why are you still here since yesterday? I mean why were you here ?"

"My friend's sick."

"So, you won't come back now. Right?"

" I came here because you were not in your senses. But now since you're are awake. I won't bother you. Don't worry."

I stood up and walked towards the door. I looked back and noticed he was looking at me. I hurried and left his cabin. I went back to Poppy. It was her time for medicine and dressing. I sat beside her. And she took my face on her hands and was afraid she might have noticed that unconscious face of mine. She said

"Darling, what's wrong? Don't worry, I won't leave you this early and let you enjoy everything all alone."

" Why would I worry ? I am all fine."

She made an ugly face and I laughed. I then stopped like something asked me to.

"Is something bothering you?"

" No baby. It's just lack of sleep. "

"For sure". She asked.

"For sure". I agreed.

I then asked her how it happened.

"Honestly, I too don't remember it properly. I was waiting for you and then a car came. Few people came out and hit me. I fought till someone hit from my back. That's the whole."

"Anything else? Any clue, uniformity or strangeness. "

"Ummm, ya. They were in black suit like  bodyguards. "

My brain cells called back the recent moments. Black car and guard like people.
I don't know why but I ran to James cabin. I slammed the door.

"Someone said 'won't disturb' recently.
You are habitual to me. "

I went near him. He could see me panting and felt my heavy breath. He sat straight in worry

"Are you okay?"
This is the first time he asked me so.

"Was that a black car?"