Chapter 16

I huddle in my room that night, tears streaming down my face as the gates in the far distance ease open on the hinges. The groans of a dying God of War permeate the kingdom. My breaths fall short and sharp as I hug my knees and pick at my fingernails, the only thing I know how to do tonight.

Every single one of the Convex who stormed the parade today is being exiled.

I have already vomited up all my fancy, palace dinner. Yet, my stomach still churns and winds into knots. The crescent moon climbs toward its apex amongst the stars, reminding me all of those souls will return to the cosmos soon. They will return home. I am unsure how long my journey is to the stars, but I'm certain that when I get there, I will not fear oblivion. But can I be forgiven for all I've done?

I don't think so.

I want to be.

Someone knocks on the door, and I cringe, burying my face into the pillow. "Please go away."

"It's me," Ruben says.

"Even more of a reason to leave," I bark, shivering as the bitter draft blows in through the open window and tickles my skin.

"I have two people here who want to see you."

"Elle?" a voice says that makes my heart leap.

"Aston?"

I peel myself from the bed and fling the door open. Aston and Lyra stand on either side of Ruben and he ushers them into the room, glancing over his shoulder.

"Ruben..." I say, voice dripping with a warning. "You haven't put them in danger, have you?"

"It will fall on me. I promise," he says, tightening his jaw and not quite meeting my gaze. "We don't have long, so please be quick."

And suddenly, I am staring at my sister's face. She stares at me with the same bewilderment. "Are you...?" she starts to say. She's here. It's her.

A cry spills from my chest and I pull Lyra into a hug, tears prickling in my eyes at the feeling of her too-thin, frail body. Her bones practically prod into me.

"Oh, Elle," she says, pushing me back with surprising force, regarding me with watery eyes. "You look so strong. So full of life."

Her red hair is dull and frizzy even in the braid down her back. There's a tremble in her hands as she tugs at her threadbare frock and my heart aches. "I'm still stuck here." My voice quivers and I clench my fists. "I'd rather be home with you, listening to you read one of Mama's books."

Her smile is an effort and I see the little girl who once tripped over her feet to make our parents proud, the little girl who wanted to finish school and work her way into the Concave Sector, so we could enjoy life. "Hopefully, when all this is over, you can do that. Maybe after your wedding."

Aston and I both grimace at the word. Ruben recoils into the wall. "She will be my wife. Once my father dies, I will be king. So, she will have free reign to do whatever she likes."

Aston elbows me, wagging his brows playfully "Do you want to see if your knife-tossing skills have improved? Perhaps we can hasten along His Royal Highness' death."

I swat him, shushing him. "I'd love nothing more."

"You aren't alone, Elle," Aston says, voice low and hushed, hardly louder than my breath.

"What do you mean?" I furrow my brow, feeling embers of fear crackle in my throat.

"There's more of us. The rebels are growing in numbers. I hear they have more plans up their sleeves."