Chapter 32

Ajax crashes into the room. His face is as white as crow-picked bone.

"What is it, Ajax?" Ruben asks, standing instantly.

I pull my dagger out on instinct.

A cool draft curls into the room, playing with my hair as Ajax opens and closes his mouth like a bemused fish, gathering his words. The silver jewellery in his eyebrow glints in the jumping candlelight. "The king... his loyalists... they're murdering the Convex rebels."

Knots tear through my stomach, spilling my guts down my legs as I stumble to the window. A hoard of Tranqs arranged in a filled triangle formation, fire arrows. Sharp cries and strangled grunts bore into my ears, into my bones. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Kissing Ruben, the king's son, while my people die as they fight for a better kingdom. Tears blur my vision and I swipe them away furiously. Blood and corpses speckle the palace grounds, and the gardens, as the final remnants of the Tranq building collapse into a pile of dust and ash.

"Where is Aston?" I demand, my voice shaking.

"He's trying to help urge as many Convex back into the tunnels," Ajax says with a huff. He pads up to me, standing so close to my side I can feel his warmth. "They were fighting back. Your people. They are strong. Brave."

"And dead." My voice now yields nothing but hollowness.

"Not all of them. Many of them have fled for the night. But they will return."

"What are we meant to do?" My nails scrape the wooden finish of the window ledge. "How can we stop the king from punishing them all?"

"What can he do?" Ajax says, tilting his chin towards me, forcing me to look at him. "He can only exile or kill them. Most of these people have lost everything already."

Wisps of smoke and the coppery smell of blood rise into the window, performing a morbid dance that curdles my insides. "At the very least, we can round up the dead. Build a funeral pyre."

"Actually, Elle." Ruben clears his throat, joining us at the window. "The rebel Tranqs are holding an exclusive meeting tonight. To discuss the next move. I will be joining them."

"I'll be there." The words tumble out. "My heart wrenches in two as a young man writhes and thrashes, his wail drowning out the other groans of agony. He clutches the arrow in his stomach. One more twitch. Still.

The top corner of my lip tugs up in disgust and terror. More arrows crisscross the crimson-splashed gardens and I squeeze my eyes shut "Where's the meeting?"

"In the forest," Ruben says. He glances over his shoulder, sucking in a harsh breath at the sight of his father's cold, bare room. "We will stop this madness, Elle. It won't be like this for much longer."

"How can you know? You don't even know where your father is." His kiss now feels like an unpleasant burn on my lips that I want to wash away. The wrong time.

Ruben and Ajax exchange a look and I catch a strange glint in Ajax's eyes. "I'm going to find out where he is." Ruben swallows and his shoulders tighten, a haunted look crossing his face.

"And I will take you to the meeting spot in the forest, Elle," Ajax says, tossing me a brave smile.

Groans and sobs of the dying tease and taunt me and I yank the window closed, turning away, leaning against the ledge. "Fine."

"I'll meet you there after sundown," Ruben says, retreating to the door. His eyes dart to my lips for a moment before he heaves a sigh. "You should get back into the palace. My father's loyalists and servants will be looking for you."