Chapter 14 - Foreshadow (AT)

Toya POV

"Why so soon?  This live house usually gives us at least a week to prepare for performances." 

I waited while Akito texted back the live house owner. 

"One of their big acts dropped out last minute, so they want us to fill the spot."

"Do they know Shiraishi and Azusawa aren't even in the country right now?"

He nods.  "Yeah.  He's actually asking for the Bad Dogs."

"Huh."

"What?"

"This will be our first performance as a duo since we formed Vivid Bad Squad, huh?"

Akito nodded absentmindedly.  "Vivid Bad Squad is great and all, but sometimes I miss the good old days, when I didn't have to deal with An." 

I stay silent.  What did he just say?

At least thirty seconds must have passed.

Akito waves a hand in front of my frozen face.  "Earth to Toya . . . . yo man, you good?"

Vivid Bad Squad is great and all, but sometimes I miss the good old days, when I didn't have to deal with An.

Why did that line seem so familiar?

"Man, stop freaking me out?  Did I do something wrong?" I don't reply.  "I'm sorry, okay?  Just please-" 

I  cut him off.  "Say it again, Akito."
"What?"

"The last thing you said before, say it again."  He gives me funny look, but complies anyway.

". . . Vivid Bad Squad is great and all, but sometimes I miss the good old days, when I didn't have to deal with An." 

A scene flashed through my head. 

Akito, Azusawa, Shiraishi and I were on a stage . . . having finished our set list at some vaguely familiar live house.  It was late at night, and the four of us bowed to the crowd.
We went backstage and took our stuff before leaving.
An and Kohane left together, since An's dad agreed to drive them both home.

Akito and I walked, since both our fathers would never do such a thing, even in its simplicity. 

It was late at night.  The street was dark.  The street lamps seemed to flicker . . . . every other time that either of us made a step. 
Feeling uneasy, I unconsciously slid my hand in Akito's.

The lights went out. 

Someone grabbed me by the neck, and yanked me to the left. 

Our hands were roughly pulled apart in the process. 

I tried to scream, but someone violently-

Akito clapped his hands directly in front of my face, startling me. 

"Okay, seriously, dude.  What the hell is going on?  You legit look like you're about to pass out, I don't like it."

I struggled for an answer.

"I-I-It's nothing, really.  You just said that phrase in a dream I had last night, so I remembered it when you repeated the words."

". . . . Okay . . . . the  tell me this; why do you look so spooked, then?"

I look away from his face.  "I should go.  My dad probably heard about the incident by now, and he'll kill me if I'm not home soon.  In fact, he'll kill me for not coming home last night already, so . . ." I muttered. 

Akito side-eyes me like me wants to call me out for simultaneously changing the subject and escaping, but he lets it go.

Nevertheless, the nightmare was still in the forefront of my mind.  It felt like a dark, bad omen, somehow.

. . . . . I couldn't help but feel like something terrible was about to happen.

Words: 564