Chapter 18 - Interrogation Chambers (AT)

Toya POV

"Do you think we can prepare a show in two days?" he asks. "Sure we can. We can just use some of our old songs that we're already memorized." I reply nonchalantly. "As the main act, we have four to five song slots . . . do you think Mirai is a good intro song?"

"I was thinking we could put that at the end."

"Oh, okay then. Do you think we could sing Egoist without MEIKO and the Vivids?"

"Maybe. We'd have to practice a bit more since Egoist is a bit more recent for us. And we'd have to arrange a duo version too . . .
Besides, a song as energetic as that is more suited to the climax of our performance."

"Alright. Let's start with Fragile then?" he nods. "How do you feel about adding Ifuudoudou as a climax song?"

We work out set list with some further consideration, ending up with:

Airhead
Fragile
Rad Dogs
Egoist (if we have time)
Mirai

We reach the glass, metal-rimmed door of the police station. Akito pulls open while grumbling, "This better not take too long." He sighs before stepping inside. I follow him.

The interior of the station is a bit fancier than the bare concrete walls that I imagined.

The ceiling stretches dozens of feet above our heads, and two fake potted shrubs frame an ornate wooden reception desk.  On the grey wall behind it is a intricate golden carving featuring an overly complicated mural containing elements of the city police emblem. 

There's a round clock with a simple black casing high up on the wall. It was already one p.m. We should grab lunch soon.  Wait.  Did I even eat breakfast? 

The two of us reach the front desk, where a very youthful looking lady sits at a computer monitor. 

"Good afternoon.  Please state your names."  "Shinonome Akito and Aoyagi Toya."

She clicks through the computer.

"Officer Bartleby is waiting for you in the interrogation chambers." ye goofy ass name 🤪

Not even a minute later, a female officer in a tight, immaculate topknot pops out from a hallway on the left.  "Hello, Shinonome-san and Aoyagi-san.  Please follow me."  She turns on her heel and guides us through the halls.  This officer speed-walks so fast that she forces the two of us to helplessly chase after her.

. . . Why does 'interrogation chambers' sound so damn intimidating?

Words: 411

UPCOMING MAJOR SPOILERS
as in spoiling the plot of the entire rest of the book