Chapter 4

Quick disclaimer:

- this chapter onwards, this story will take a significant change from the show's storyline.

- I am not going to make Noor a turning point of my story - apologies if you wanted that angle here. I just can't see in my mind, how a couple that wasn't ready for a baby and fell apart in the aftermath of it would be ready for another one in less than a year. Especially when they spent 8-9 months of that year apart or fighting. Grieving and healing is never a linear journey, it takes time.

- you will need to remember that the some parts of the chapter we are in Manik's head. Then other parts we are in Nandini's head. They are both talking about the exact same situations but how they saw it. There is no right or wrong there, or better or worse.

Thank you.

--------

“Mai Os ki boond hu, hai kaanch sa tuta tu,
Tujhse jab bhi mai gujru, hai thoda sa judta tu”

Nyonika Malhotra seethed in anger as she walked to her car, after a small one to one with Manik outside the concert venue. Nandini Murthy - the bane of her existence was with him.

How?

She shut her door and banged her hand on the steering wheel, frustrated. Everytime she felt like she was closer to winning, the game changed. And more often than not, it was always because of Nandini.

If this game between her and Manik was to be a chess board, Nandini was the queen piece.

Huffing, she leaned back in her seat. She was very confident that Manik and Nandini were faking it. She hadn't forgotten the note of anger and disdain in Manik's voice when she had first found him in that jungle in Kasol. Accidentally discovered by what seemed like a fan, a viral video had been the reason she had been finally able to trace him down - after he had ghosted the world.

And she had been elated to know Nandini and him had broken up. That anger in his voice that day, had added a sprint in her steps. She was so close to achieving what she had always wanted - to rule The Malhotra Industries solo.

But now, Nandini was back. And Nandini's presence translated to Manik's sanity - which was why she had been counting on her absence all this while.

She needed to do something - anything - these two love birds needed to be broken apart, and sure she might have failed a lot of times before, she wasn't going to fall short of trying, especially when she had a better chance at winning this time.

For before this, she had to try and break them apart, this time they were already broken up, she just needed to find their Achilles' heel and press on it.

And that?

She was the master mind of that.

------

Manik had just managed to finally lay down on the bed when his cell phone started to ring on the beside table. He rolled over and picked it up, only to be surprised to see Mukti's name flashing. The girl had been calling him off and on for the past six months, but between switching his phone off and hiding in the mountains, he hadn't been able to talk to her. More like didn't want to. Now that he was back, it was more or less inevitable and also, very rude to not answer.

Taking a deep breath, he picked it up, trying to sound enthusiastic with his “Hey”.

“Manik Malhotra, I swear to God, I am gonna kill you with my bare hands”, Mukti yelled so loud, Manik had to remove the phone from his ear to protect his hearing. He heard Zubin's voice in the background, asking her to calm down and to no one's surprise - it worked. Manik smiled softly to himself, Zubin had been really good for Mukti.