𝟬𝟭. the start of an end

CHAPTER ONE
there was something about you

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐘oon Dabin had far better things set in her mind than to accompany her dearest cousin on an unnecessary trip that neither of them was needed at anyway. But Kim Jin-hee had always been the stubborn one, and Dabin liked her best out of all her cousins because the girl simply doesn't give a shit about people who don't matter to her.

     So Dabin caved into her cousin's constant begging. That's how she ended up packing a few clothes inside her backpack the next day very early in the morning. Jin-hee arrived at her home not long after. Too excited that she didn't even bother to wait for Dabin's dad to prepare the car which the man wasn't too happy about since they would be by themselves.

     "Always be careful, okay?" Seung-cheol, Dabin's father, said. He handed her the bag and pursed his lips, not liking to see his only daughter leave. "I'll check in on you every hour."

    Dabin gave him a look. "Dad."

     "Dabin." The father sighed deeply.  "Just... take care of yourself, okay?"

     Dabin merely kept quiet and nodded her head ever so slightly, not wanting to upset her father. Besides, ever since her mother passed away from cancer, her dad had become so protective of her. He never liked having her out of his sight. And I suppose, Dabin never fully understood why but she loved her father.

     As she turned to enter the taxi that Jin-hee hailed, Dabin stopped. She took a deep breath and faced her dad once more, suddenly tackling him into a big hug that the man barely had time to register what was happening. Then she broke it off, putting on a tight-lipped smile to try to comfort the worried father.

    "I love you," Dabin said quietly.

     Her father smiled warmly. "I love you the most, my brave girl."

     By the time they got there, the station was almost packed with passengers traveling to different places with either themselves or in a group. The sun hadn't fully come up, which made the sky look bluish and dim. But the train station was already busy and bright as they all went on about their lives.

     Her cousin had one hand around her wrist and the other on her bag as they pushed through the crowd, trying their best to find their designated bullet train, which was the KTX 101 that would take them to Busan.

     "Jin-hee!" Dabin hissed. Her eyes were narrowed as she tried to match the pace of her excited cousin. "Slow down."

     "There's no time to slow down, Dabin." Jinhee rolled her eyes, pulling her along. Her face lit up when she noticed a few players of the familiar baseball team boarding the train. "This is gonna be the most amazing train ride."

     Dabin scoffed under her breath. "Whatever you say, Kim Jin-hee."

     Reluctantly, she hefted her bag against one shoulder and let the cheerleader enter the train first. She followed after, the sliding doors automatically closing behind her with a quiet hiss. Her nose wrinkled ever so slightly at the sight of people in this narrow space. The things she does for her cousin. Dabin shook her head inwardly, her grip around the strap of her bag tightening.

     The sound of the lady on the train speakers constantly repeated the same sentences. The train bound for Busan was departing shortly. I suppose Jin-hee was right to get her so early in the morning. Then again, Dabin was never a morning person and it slightly irritated her at first when her cousin decided to bring her along for her own reasons.