Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

Fourteen: The Whole Truth

"Her body is failing," Talia said with a frown at the thermometer in her hand. "She's got a fever, her breathing is noisy, and her blood pressure is low."

Their territory healer pointed at the skin on Arietta's hands. "See the blotchy skin here and on her knees? Her heart is having a hard time sending an adequate blood supply to the rest of her body."

Every word made Gavriel's stomach drop lower and lower. Like an anvil that grew and grew and grew inside him.

"How long?"

Talia shook her head. "It's not an exact science, but she'd be lucky if she has a few days left."

Gavriel ran a hand through his hair. "What's causing it?"

Talia's eyebrows came together. "What's causing—does it matter?"

"Yes," Gavriel stepped into Talia's space, towering over her. "It does."

The look Talia gave him was sad. "Gavriel," she said softly. "I don't know that I could pinpoint it even if I wanted to. Regardless," her eyes danced between his, shifting focus from one of his eyes to the other. "She's the enemy."

He met her gaze head-on with steel in his own. When he spoke, his tone was low. Grated. "That woman has done more for me and mine than some of the shifters in this territory."

"That woman," Talia countered, "comes from the same territory as the monsters who killed your parents and your sister. You of all people should hate her the most."

Gavriel bit his tongue to halt a retort of his own. He waited for the anger to ebb before speaking again.

It took him a solid two minutes before he could speak. All the while, Talia measured and adjusted the IV hanging next to Arietta's bed, making sure the line was not kinked and that Arietta was settled.

Despite her harsh words, Talia was still a healer. She took care of those in her territory. Voluntarily or begrudgingly.

Gavriel's anger slipped away like leaves caught on a breeze.

Talia had been Sienna's apprentice at the time of the attack. She, not unlike many of the other adults in the territory, remembered the incident like it was only yesterday. Except, unlike the other adults, she'd been running around in the infirmary, trying desperately to save those she could. And blaming herself for those she could not.

How many deaths weighed on Talia's conscience?

"Talia," Gavriel said into the relative quiet of the infirmary. "I know you'd much rather see justice for what was done many years ago. This woman," Gavriel pointed at Arietta, "knows a lot about the wielders. She can provide more information to help us enact that justice."

Talia's lips pursed. "It goes against my oath as a healer to let this woman die without doing anything."

Relief was a cool balm along Gavriel's chest.