Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Twenty-Four: Dares and Well Wishes

"You dare bring a wielder into the inner home?" Eoran barked at Gavriel, a raised vein in his neck appearing

The woman, Fay, sat straighter in her chair, as if ready to launch herself over the table and have her claws at Arietta's throat the moment Arietta moved in a way she did not like.

The man next to Fay, Ries, only tilted his head. Meanwhile, Henri narrowed his eyes but kept his arms crossed.

Behind her, she'd heard Violet gasp and Jake growl, attuned to each and every shifter's reaction.

It was any wonder they hadn't already moved to kill her where she stood. Arietta lifted her hands, palms forward. "I'm not—"

"What were you thinking?" Eoran continued. His face was reddening, but his eyes kept flashing from animal and back.

"I—" she tried again.

But they didn't want to hear her.

"There are younglings just a few rooms over," Fay said, her upper lip curled.

Arietta looked at Gavriel. He hadn't moved even a smidge from his chair, despite being verbally chewed out. If anything, he appeared more relaxed than he had only a few moments before when she was being questioned.

No one had moved for her yet, which she took as a good sign. "I'm not—"

"Gavriel, this is our home, our sanctuary—"

"Let her speak," Gavriel said, still nonchalant. He gave Arietta a nod of encouragement.

Silence flooded the council room. All eyes turned to her.

Arietta swallowed, her palms sweating at the rush of sudden attention. "I'm not a normal wielder."

Eoran all but rolled his eyes, his jaw tight. "You're not like the rest, sure, sure."

"She's not."

Everyone looked at Ronan. "She's something we've never seen before," he continued. "I've felt it."

The mood in the room flipped. Arietta felt the outright hostility smooth into a heavy tension. Just from Ronan's words.

What was it like having that kind of immediate trust from those around you?

Ronan stood. "If it weren't for her, the wielders today could have hurt the younglings. Or worse." He shifted his weight. "When Cael gets back from patrol, ask him. That water wielder felt her magic today. He was afraid."

At the end of the table across from her, Sienna narrowed her eyes. A previous healer, Gavriel had explained Sienna's role earlier. She often has an insight the other Heads occasionally miss.

Arietta cleared her throat. Despite herself, the muscles in her hands felt shaky. She'd admitted to too many people lately exactly what it was she could do. It never seemed to get easier.