Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Twenty-One: Betrayal Made Known

"What is he doing?" Violet hissed next to Arietta.

Arietta didn't answer. Her focus was on the sliver of the scene visible through the wall of moss and vines.

Ronan, the leopard, hit the first wielder so fast, the man could not defend himself. One quick shred of material, another of skin, and the wielder gurgled as his hands fought to keep his life's blood inside his body.

The human yelled, weapon at the ready, and fired.

But Ronan was already gone. Twisting, shooting out toward his next target.

The weapon was a problem. Even with his shifter magic amplified, Ronan would have a difficult time juggling between the wielder and the human with a gun.

She needed to help.

Arietta moved.

"Arietta, wait!" Violet whisper-hissed.

"Protect the kids!" She directed over her shoulder.

Arietta's adrenaline-filled limbs were nimble as she darted over rocks and down the hill. If it weren't for Ronan—the leopard squaring off with a water wielder in front of him—the other human would've turned and stopped her. But a warring leopard with intense speed and glowing eyes was much more of a threat than a small woman with some luck and determination.

She stayed at the edge of the small cave overhang and sidestepped right, keeping the dark-clothed enemies in her sights.

Past the blood and still body of the first wielder, the human reloaded their weapon. Then fired again at Ronan.

"Dammit, keep him still, Numan!" The human called. Fired. Each shot echoed painfully as it clashed and bounced against the rocky cliffs.

"I'm trying!" The wielder shouted back. His hand, palms out, made a wide circle. A wall of water formed in front of him, just as Ronan crashed into it.

Ronan bounced, shook off the hit, and growled low. Darted left around the wall, only to come up against another.

The water wielder wouldn't be able to keep it up. Not when Ronan was this fast. Water was one of the slowest elements to wield.

A hawk cawed above.

Backup.

The human raised their weapon up into the air and fired. Once. Twice.

Arietta flinched each time. She kept creeping her way around the side. If Ronan could distract the wielder long enough for her to get clo—

A rope of water shot out at her.

No.

Arietta threw herself down. The water crashed into the rocks with a force that shook the loose stones. She yelped as it immediately reformed.