The Stream

Aconite woke to the sun rays peaking through her window and a pleasant aroma whisking through her bedroom. Gently setting her feet on the floor, she stretched and slipped a robe over herself. The hanging vines in the room dropped against the wooden walls adding a homey charm. Winter's cold months brought hardship and coziness to her quaint tiny home. She prepared a hardy breakfast but was interrupted by Tara.
    "Addy, dear, can you please prepare some supper? It's quite hard for me, you know." Tara spoke. Of course, Tara didn't call Aconite by her real name. All nymphs knew that. Names were sacred for a good reason.
    "Of course, Tara. You're always welcome to supper. I always make extra for that reason."
Tara was an elder with light blue skin, unlike Aconite's lavender. She was an important figure in the village, and many people treated her with the utmost respect.
    "You're such a nice woman." Tara smiled, sitting down at a small table. "I'm worried for us."
    "Why do you say?" Aconite turned towards Tara, tilting her head.
    "They say them humans come closer and closer to here every day. It's no wonder people have gone missing! They've all snatched them up! Eaten 'em'! Stolen their blood for weapons again! Used them as silly doll toys!" Tara exclaimed.
    "Tara, enough." She tightened her fists. Her tail violently hit the ground.
    "I'm sorry. You know, it's got me worried and all. We've been through so much. Every day we lose people. We don't even know how many are suffering as you and I did," She paused abruptly, swallowing a lump in her throat. "Nymphs used to be a powerful species! We used to walk along with the humans! Live in castles! Engage in warfare! We used to be the most respected species in the land! Now, look at us! The tiny people who live in the forests whose blood and name will fare you well! I curse the god who did this to us!"
    "That was hundreds of years ago. Do you think there is anything we can do about it now?" She barked back.
    "Yes! We can fight, of course!"
    "Us? That would be silly!" She shook her head and placed a meal in front of Tara.
    "Hrmph."
    "What's really bothering you?" Aconite inquired.
    "A boy. He's been out by the stream, nearly scared the hell out of some young children. Thankfully they were not spotted, of course. I thought he would go away, but he's stayed. No idea why. He's even stayed at night. Slept all alone. It almost makes me feel bad for them."
"I will go investigate it by noon, okay? Would that let you rest easy?"
    "Why, yes! But please be careful. I can't lose you! Alright?" Tara commanded.
    "I won't. It's just right there. There would be no use in engaging. Maybe I can just run him off. Humans are easy to fool, but-"
    "But curious! He'll catch one glance of your tail and snatch you!" She interrupted.
    "Good Olympus, please. For such a wise elder, you're a very stubborn one." She sneered. Aconite sat down, tucking her long, dark amethyst hair behind her pointed ears. Tara muttered nonsense while eating, which annoyed Aconite, but she couldn't stay irritated for long. She had a point. Even a child was dangerous to them. They needed to be very careful with everything that had to do with humans or, frankly, anyone bigger than them. They only periodically interacted with fae, but it got too risky.
"I'll be back. I promise." She stepped outside the house and onto a branch.
Once she had reached the bank, she noticed a young boy, no older than seven, asleep in a pile of snow. Aconite peered out of the grass beside him, seeing his odd position. 
    "He must be cold..." She murmured.
Something in her had possessed her to help him. A poor young boy out here alone would not last long. She crept close to him and silently placed her hand on the small amount of fabric that showed through near his ankle. Her hand glowed and began to warm the young boy; he suddenly jerked up, almost stepping on Aconite in the process. He yawned and then looked at her with a curious but devious look. Panic rushed over Aconite, and she ran towards the tree, but he was too fast. The boy scooped her up and shook her, poking and prodding her. She opened her mouth to sink her fangs into his hand but failed miserably, desperately trying to keep her eyes open. The violent swing of his hands made her heart race, and vile began to swell in the back of her throat. She thought this mistake was awful; she should've certainly listened to her elder.
    The boy swung his arms back and forth before he got bored with her and shoved her into a small pouch. By then, the movements had gotten to her, and she had utterly fainted. An older man, seemingly around the same age as Aconite, approached the young boy. He had been running for quite some time, as seen by the sweat rolling down his face.
    "Simon, are you mad? You could've been hurt! Gods, I have been looking everywhere for you!" He addressed the boy sternly.
    "I just wanted to come by this creek! It bothers me when you don't take me anywhere, and besides! I've been stuck with you for a week! I'm sorry-" Simon pouted. His lower lip quivered like a baby's.
    "Don't do it again. Ever. Do you understand me? There are dangerous things out here. This place is notorious for nymphs too...." He looked around. "Let's just head home, okay?"
    Simon nodded hesitantly and walked ahead of him with the attitude of a hurt puppy. The man pushed his frames against his face and carefully watched. The pair headed towards their bungalow, Simon's antics entirely unknown to the man. For now, the package was for Simon and Simon only.