IV. Leslie

IV. Leslie

“WHAT ARE YOU going to write about?” Dee asked as soon as we stepped out of the lab. We saw the notice this morning on the bulletin board in our building’s centre court. PSH Press was holding a writing contest on four categories: news, features, sports, poetry. Hope in the form of a second chance came when we had already given up.

“Laguna’s and PS’s mixed doubles badminton are having a semi-finals match tomorrow. I’ll do that.”

“Sports? Aren’t you going to do news?

“No. You?”

“What else?” Dee pursed her mouth in a gratified smirk. “Twisted things.”

Once we neared my room for Drama, Dee turned back to go to her Creative Writing class too. She called when I reached the room.

“Don’t forget we’re going to the theatre after,” she yelled. She blew me a kiss, her way of orison for good results to follow. I blew one too as I watched her prance down the stairs to the main floor.

“Hell befalls you. Are you out of your mind?”

The ignoramus was metres away to my northeast. I did not notice him approaching. But he was scowling, his face looking so repulsed.

“Oh. That hell befalls you too.” I didn't have the energy to even speak more loudly. I turned to go inside―

“Blowing the editor-in-chief a kiss won’t turn the tide. That’s a truly nitwitted thing to do.”

I spun in a trice. But he already disappeared into the room across from ours. I did not even realize that he was walking or standing in the way that it appeared like I was blowing a kiss to him! Holy.

Mrs. Melanie started the class off by introducing Hamlet to us. I knew the play by heart so I pulled out my volunteer application form to go over it.

“Does Hamlet gain some kind of self-awareness after he comes back from the voyage? Or does he not?”

I flipped the form over. Mrs. Melanie's question piqued my interest. I glided my chair forwards with my feet to listen with concentration.  

“We’ll get back to that question in two or three week’s time, but do think about it while you read.”

When Hamlet came back, he did seem more rational and treated his mother better. Was it the result of going away for some time? Is that why people like to travel and move away?

Mrs. Melanie asked someone to read the first Act. If only moving away was the cause of our break up. . .

Luca moved here in Port Sher in his third year of junior high. Before we started going out, I asked him directly if his family was going to move again.

“I’m going to stop liking you now if you tell me you’re transferring schools again,” I told him. 

“I’m not transferring,” he answered almost instantly. “I’ll finish school here.”