VIII. I Can't Thank You Enough

WE STARTED REHEARSING for the play in the middle of July. The first performance begins at the end of August and it would be a monthly performance after. Dee and I made it a routine to go up the myrtle trees during lunchtime to practice our lines. Meteorite had told Terese that we weren’t available on Friday afternoons so apart from whole day rehearsals on Saturdays, we were at the theatre rehearsing all weekday afternoon and evening. Dee’s grandmother, who loved the theatre since she was younger, lifted Dee’s curfew, although it was only as long as the performance runs.

We had more leisure time with PSH Press. We could write other articles too but Dee decided to stick with literary writing while I have long determined to solely write for sports.

I paused studying my scenes and watched while Dee and Yasmin rehearsed their third scene together with Charmian and Alexas. The three broke character and laughed after Dee made a slip of the tongue. Dee quickly apologized to both the actors and to the creative team. Yasmin, who stood closest to her, patted her back and said something—that I am guessing were words of encouragement.

If there was something I noticed with the crew while spending time with them, it was that they were all understanding. They were amicable, polite, and loyal. That was probably why they lasted for years without needing a new cast member.

Beside me, Meteorite was occupied memorizing his lines. I went back to the script but as soon as I did, I heard Luca’s voice.

“I know that you like this other guy so I thought you were joking.”

“What other guy?”

Luca took my hand and gave me the cone of caramel ice cream he peeled. “The senior. I always catch you looking at him.”

“What senior? I had plenty of crushes before you,” I admitted. Then I added quickly, “But you’re the most special.”

“He has light brown hair and annoying slit eyes. He’s fair-skinned too.”

“He also has a mole under his right eye,” I added in my attempt to tease him after recognizing the boy he was referring to. “I liked him. I did. But that was ages ago.”

“Blaire, if you still like him—”

“No, I don’t,” I said adamantly. “I really seriously don’t.”

“I just want you to be happy. If it’s because you heard that I like you, I don’t want you to pretend and say that you started liking me only because you don’t have the heart to reject me—”

I shove the ice cream to his mouth. “I like you. It’s true. You can’t take a hint so I’m telling you directly but you still don’t believe me.”

Holding the ice cream down, he argued back, “You can’t take a hint either. I was talking to my friend in front of your building but the senior was also there. You had your eyes only on him. I tried approaching you and I even pretended to be asking for directions but you answered and pointed without looking at me.”